Tree-like bush in dappled shade of maple

Roth(zone 5 MI)October 1, 2004

I'm looking for advice on a specimen flowering bush or small tree to plant in the dappled shade of a maple tree. Ideal height is 8-12 feet, with lots of seasonal interest, since the spot is near the front door. The ground is dry, though I'm willing to water every 10 days or so once the plant is established. Dappled shade is a generous term in this case; not a lot of sun gets through. Spring and winter interest are the most important, since other nearby plants have interesting summer and fall flowering and foliage. Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

You might want to consider one of the Ribes or flowering currants. Ribes sanguineum is a west coast native that blooms in very early spring with long pendant racemes of pink or white flowers. An early hummingbird attractor! Ribes odoratum or clove currant is native to large portions of the midwest and blooms in April with yellow, spicy scented flowers and will often have some nice fall color. Both are happy in part shade and pretty drought tolerant once established.

Bookmark   October 2, 2004 at 9:55AM
john_mo(z5/6)

One of my favorite understory trees is serviceberry (Amelanchier). There are a number of different species with different ranges and growth forms -- some are shrubbier, others tend to be small trees (often multi-trunked). They have beautiful white flowers early in the spring, and edible (by humans and wildlife) blue berries in mid summer -- they're sometimes called Juneberries. The fall color can also be good, ranging from yellow to orange to red.

Good luck. Maples are tough competitors -- for both moisture and light.

Bookmark   October 4, 2004 at 12:07PM
annebert(6b/7a MD)

Witch hazel? Not sure about its water needs,though.

Bookmark   October 6, 2004 at 1:01PM
Roth(zone 5 MI)

Thanks for your suggestions. I have considered a witch hazel, hamamelis x intermedia "Diana," to be exact. Other options include Harry Lauder's Walking Stick or cornus kousa "Snowboy." Which variety of serviceberry tolerates quite a bit of shade?

Bookmark   October 9, 2004 at 3:56PM
Roth(zone 5 MI)

Gardengal48, do you know if Ribes is prohibited in Michigan? This is noted in "Dry-Land Gardening," a book on Xeriscaping. If not, it sounds like an excellent choice.

Bookmark   October 9, 2004 at 10:26PM
john_mo(z5/6)

The two Amelanchier species that are most widely distributed in the northeast are A. arborea (downy serviceberry) and A. laevis (Allegheny serviceberry). Both will perform better (better fruits and fall color; faster growth) in full sun, but around here A. arborea commonly occurs in the understory.

Arborea is one of the many species that prefers the elusive 'moist, but well-drained' soil. I have two young arbora in a mostly shady site on a slight slope with heavy soil -- but they are growing pretty slowly.

Bookmark   October 12, 2004 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
Help Identifying Woodland Vine
Would be very grateful if someone can help me identify...
LongMountainMom
Propagating Black-Eyed Susans from Neighbors Woods
My neighbor (my mother) has some beautiful large patches...
MotherNauresDaughter
Can I just sprout acorns in the ground??
Hi all, I know there are all sorts of fancy ways to...
catherinet
killing the invasive yaupon!!!!
I dream of a woodland garden! I have the perfect area...
calsmom
What to Do with Wild Brambles?
In my wooded areas, I have a lot of brambles, mostly...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™