Did I just pot a WEED???

paradisecircus(7b/8a)July 14, 2013

Hope everyone is enjoying the mild temps and rain!!

Okay so I had some Iceland poppies that weren't doing well in the ground. All died except one, so I dug it up and potted it with some random groundcovers just to see if it would make it. This was about two weeks ago. Since then, its grown six inches and formed little fluffy seed poofs (sorry, not sure of correct terminology here) that look like tiny dandelions. I coulda SWORN I had potted the poppy but maybe they did all die and this thing I potted is an impostor!!

It doesn't look anything like the photos I've seen of Iceland poppies. Did I really just pot a weed???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paradisecircus(7b/8a)

Here's another pic. I had to stake it because its become so tall and it leans. Kind of a behemoth!

Sorry my pics are sideways. For some reason pics uploaded from my cell come up sideways.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 7:24PM
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)
    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 12:34PM
ocgf(Z8)

It's hard to tell because there are many plants with that look. However, I had a volunteer that looked like that some time ago. It turned out to be some kind of wild aster.

Omar

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 2:37PM
patty_cakes

I don't think so. I've only seen pictures and not an actual plant, and they usually have a jagged type of leaf like the picture I'm posting.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 8:54PM
cynthianovak

I was thinking tarragon, My tarragon was that tall before I trimmed it way back but it is 3 years old. Just in case, are the leaves fragrant? c

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 11:36PM
marti8a

I've had flowers that looked somewhat like that, and weeds too. The only way to know for sure is let it bloom. Then show us what it is. :)

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 3:24PM
beachplant(9b)

It`s a weed, not a poppy.
I hate those, they make mess and have a deep tap root, a big problem in the flower garden.
Tally HO!

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 6:28PM
paradisecircus(7b/8a)

Thanks guys! Hahahaha!! Well despite not knowing 100% what it is, the fluffy seed heads worry me a bit so I cut them off. This thing has grown another inch since I originally posted it. I think I may transplant to it's own little cheap pot to see if it ever blooms but its definitely getting the boot from my groundcover display. It towers over everything else and isn't all that attractive IMO.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 7:51PM
beachplant(9b)

it gets a nondescript flower and then has a seed head like a dandelion, they are all over my vegetable garden right now.
Tally HO!

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Big orange tree in fruit ...
I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap - Free
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap Join us on facebook for...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™