How do I plant virginia bluebell bare roots?

mickbo(6A)November 18, 2010

I ordered 6 Virginia Bluebell bare roots which arrived today. I would say each of these bare roots is about 4 inches long. It appears that there are some tiny branches on one end of each bare root with white, pointy tips. Are these the sprouting ends that face upward? Also, do I need to plant and cover these bare roots entirely with soil or have a few inches exposed above the ground (the sprouting branches)? The planting directions that came with the roots are somewhat vague in my opinion. It simply says to "plant approximately two inches deep." This is my first time planting virginia bluebells so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mosswitch

Good question. I have big groups of them, but I always transplant mine in the spring when I can see them, with the leaves of course sticking above the ground. I just went out and poked around gently where I know they are, and couldn't find any sign of them (I didn't go more than half an inch deep) but I know they have a root kind of like a carrot. I think I would spit the difference, and plant the crowns aboout an inch deep. You could try some at ground level and some deeper, see what happens. They are wildflowers, they may just pull themselves where they need to be.

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 1:15PM
ncrescue

I bought bare roots AND also found them on a rescue. I planted them all with soil completely covering them, but not too deeply. If you have a problem of which way is up, you can always put them on their sides. They will find the top. I learned that from planting bulbs years ago.

Bookmark   November 19, 2010 at 8:14AM
terrene(5b MA)

Mickbo, where did you buy your VA bluebells? I have a couple small plants, one from a swap and one started from seed but would love to have lots of these.

Bookmark   November 19, 2010 at 5:30PM
More Discussions
English Ivy Baskets Pot Bound
Hi folks, Im not sure if im in the right forum, but...
High_Tower
killing the invasive yaupon!!!!
I dream of a woodland garden! I have the perfect area...
calsmom
Jack in the Pulpit Propagation
A youth group cleaned my garden and clipped three JITP...
Elgie
Bittersweet
I am wanting to find some bittersweet. I am willing...
ohiocrafter
Wild grape vine
The woods surrounding my house are all strung together...
leigh_va
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™