Cemetery Plot Gardens

big_john(z6b LI NY)May 30, 2007

Where are the best ones? What plants shrubs alpines conifers smallish trees look best in combination on those small sites? Anyone ever design to scale a graveside planting that thrived in the graveyard environment?

Do tell.

bj

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katycopsey(Z7bGA)

BJ
Cemetary plots would seem to come in several varieties. Are you looking for a single plot or a more comprehensive family plot?

Typical plants seem to be restricted to Yews and other long living evergreen material. One site though that I know of had thyme planted on the family plots. Apparently the last of the line had ordered a set of thyme plants/seeds and they arrived a week or so after he passed away. The decision was made to sow the thyme over the gravesite and it really does look nice.
Kate

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 8:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clfo(z7 with luck)

In my area people tend to plant dwarf Alberta Spruce on either side of the stone - a REALLY BAD idea because they are Really-Not-So-Dwarf. These trees cover and upend the gravestone after a few years. Don't do it.

Sedum 'Autumn Joy' on the other hand is the best behaved plant for a cemetery. It looks stylish from early spring when it pokes out of the ground, right through the summer when it blooms, and into December when there is frost/snow on the dried flowers. The only way you can go wrong with this plant is to over-water or over-fertlize it.

I just passed a cemetery the other day when I was speaking in New Hampshire, and the sign at the entry said "No Artificial Flowers - No Plantings" and I have to say that although I laughed at the sign, the cemetery was lovely and peaceful - grass and the headstones...period.

Perhaps memorial plantings should be made in other locations?

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 8:19PM
More Discussions
What Makes A Garden Writer?
What, indeed, makes a garden writer? Give me your opinion...
eddie_ga_7a
Gardening blogs?
Anyone else have a gardening blog? I started one not...
Gardener_Wes
copywritting
CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ADVICE ON GARDENING COPY WRITING...
PT61
How to get a picture book to a publisher?
I've created a picture book and am wondering how to...
lovetogarden
Restaurants with gardens?
Hello, I'm researching a story about restaurants with...
WinterGardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™