My attempt to control Sungolds/Sweet 100s

Phildeez(9b)July 7, 2013

I may have finally contained these two crazy strains. Last year I had to trellis them up the balcony above me and they became monstrous beasts that tried to eat the entire building. This year I built the trellis early with a nice big "Y" at the top for them to bush out into.

I thought it would be fun to pick tomatoes above your head. I let one or 2 early suckers develop and pruned all the rest up to about 5' where I let them bush out into the top space.

This bottom of the Y is about 6 feet. My yield so far has been really good compared to letting them bush out more like I did last year. I also hope the increased air flow will keep them going strong through fall.

Took 4 1"x2"x3' redwood stakes and a spool of 14ga wire. Combined cost with the fence posts was under $30 which I thought was pretty good for how sturdy it is.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
qaguy

Looks good. I might have to do that with my Sweet Million.

It grew over the top of my 6 foot PVC cage and is now
almost halfway down to the ground.

Nice idea.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 11:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Phildeez(9b)

Yeah cherry tomatoes are just insane by the end of the season(s) here or anywhere with two growing seasons. I am still concerned that this will not be enough but I like the idea of growing down from way up high at the edges of the Y, as long as they would not snap at the wire from weight.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 12:34AM
More Discussions
What are you growing for 2015?
Hi all! I'm a fairly new gardener (this will be my...
sarcastichousewife
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
Better Boy or Brandy Boy?
I have Better Boy seeds and considering Brandy Boy....
shijitake
fertilizer recipe for tomatoes?
First I found something in the local hardware store...
kawaiineko_gardener
Why Black Krim Tomatoes grow like that.
Started seedlings of Black Krim Tomato in Asia last...
mmm100
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™