Stunted Trees/Shrubs

bjb817July 8, 2012

Last year, I basically re-landscaped my whole yard. Most of my plants have taken well. Unfortunately, I have a few exceptions.

I have 3 bush germanders, a mexican sycamore and cherry laurel that have a huge flush of small, stunted looking new growth. They've been this way all season. It's like they're dying to break out and grow, but just can't get over the hump.

It's weird, because I have another sycamore doing great and a total of 9 bush germanders, 3 of which are stunted looking. They're all in different areas of the yard. I'm on the east side of Austin, black land clay soil. Here's a pic of the germander:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bjb817

A pic of the sycamore:

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 7:48PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I'm not sure why some of your plants would exhibit that stunted growth. Must be something about the roots, the soil or amount of irrigation. Bumping this up so perhaps someone will see it who has also experienced it and can give you some ideas as to the cause. I'm curious too. It will be interesting to see if things level out next year.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 9:45PM
bjb817

Bump

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 12:14PM
Lynn Marie

OK, I'll bite. Several shrubs that I've planted seemed stunted like that for the first few years. It's like the roots have trouble punching into the clay. But when they figure it out, they take off like you would expect. I could be way off, but that's what I've always thought was going on.

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 2:00PM
bjb817

Well, I certainly appreciate a few of you taking a crack at this. It has me good and baffled too since only some of the plants are experiencing this. I thought maybe the big rain last week would get them going, but no luck. :^( I guess all that can be done is play wait and see...

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
Need suggestions for a privacy hedge along my fence line
My backyard is about 3/4 of an acre and our HOA requires...
5995richmond
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™