Dark sections on Tomato stems

newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)July 11, 2012

I just received these tomato seedlings in the mail. They have dark sections on their stems. Not sure if this is a desease or bruising.

The leaves are healthy looking. I did cut one of the stems in half and looked inside. All nice and green in there, no brown veining.

I haven't planted them as afraid of desease. What is it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrybull

abuse.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 7:25PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Rita, I responded to your same question at the other place where you read/post, in rather more detail. Either you or I can cut and paste my respnse here if your want to.

It's not allowed to mention other message sites here at GW, and even linking to threads at another place shows which message site something comes from, so cut and paste is the way to go.

Carolyn

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 10:23PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

Carolyn thanks. I went and read your e-mail at the other place. I just bagged the plants and put them out for the trash.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 10:40PM
bubbaearly(Al 8)

So I could use some enlightenment on this subject. My tomato plants are almost 2 month old not seedlings. I have I abused them? After they popped all the bloom everywhere and small tomatoes appeared, I added Kool Bloom (2-45-28) to them...soil, and foliar feed them with Sea Magic mix fish emulsion. Now a day later find the dark coloring on my stems, mainly where the small stems come off the main stalk, and the small stems are splitting at the joint of the main stalk.I'm not a very experienced grower,but I don't think the splitting is from poor support and the color looks alot like the mixture of seaweed and fish emulsion...anyone give me some insight. I guess time will tell. If they all die I will be so disappointed, I have really over babied them,need to just be patient.I planted these kinda late May 25th so looking forward to tasty tomatoes.I have more I planted the middle of June that don't have this condition,so I think I'll just leave them alone and stick to water!

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 9:08AM
More Discussions
Supermarket Tomatoes 4
On 1-27-15 I planted 4 more seeds again from a supermarket...
garf_gw
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
Your 2015 Choices - Fianl Answer !
Have You made up your mind yet, to answer this million...
seysonn
Sponsored Products
Bover | Ulma Pie Floor Lamp
YLighting
Bling Bling Drum Pendant
$410.00 | Bellacor
Area Rug: Kallang Asparagus Green 10' x 14'
Home Depot
Pre-owned Small Custom Pendant Chandelier by Hans Duus
$643.00 | Chairish
All cotton 2-piece Ruffled Sofa Slipcover
Overstock.com