Identify hickory please

gagevilleNovember 2, 2008

We have an old farm with the usual shagbark, black, and mockernut hickory trees. There is one unusual hickory tree we've been unable to I.D. The nuts fall about a month later than the other hickories. The hulls are about handball size, kind of oval, and avocado green. The shell looks like an English walnut - much larger and browner than other hickory nuts. The meat is much bigger and easier to get out also. It tastes closer to a pecan than a hickory nut. The girl at the information desk at the Conservation dept. said her father-in-law had a tree he called a "hickon" tree. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks to all who take the time to respond!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

What you probably have is a hybrid between a Pecan (Carya illinoensis) and one of the Hickory (Carya sp.)trees, known as a "Hican".
The 2 are closely related and natural hybrids occur between the Pecan and several species of Hickory.
There has been an ongoing effort by a number of organizations to develop commercially productive cultivars to provide nuts for the marketplace.
A number of commercial Hican orchards are now in production, but I haven't found the nuts at any of my local markets.
Enjoy your prize and share the tasty nuts with your friends!
Rb

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 1:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jqpublic(7b/8a Wake County NC)

There are several types of hicans as the poster above indicated. I have a little sapling "Lecont Hican". It is a natural cross between the water hickory and pecan. I think it was first found in the south somewhere.

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 4:00AM
More Discussions
Anyone had experience w/ Aralia elata?
Hello. Has anyone dealt w/the eradication of this one?...
adidas
when to transplant lily of the valley
I bought a couple of half gallon (I think) pots of...
komi
Problem With My Redbud Tree
Greetings! We planted a native Redbud this Spring,...
suzieQ_MI
killing the invasive yaupon!!!!
I dream of a woodland garden! I have the perfect area...
calsmom
Has anyone tried this?
You know how asian bittersweet and wild grape vine...
adidas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™