photos in proposals

katycopsey(Z7bGA)June 15, 2005

I sent off a book proposal today and wanted to include a few photos of some aspects of the topic. I wasn't sure what the best way to send images was. I ended up printing them and enclosing the prints with the proposal. How do the rest of you deal with images in a proposal? Prints, disc, none???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
John_D(USDA 8b WA)

Prints first; disks later.

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 5:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
growlery

Make it as effortless on the editor as possible. (Of course, I say that because I'm an editor, though not a book editor.)
There are few things more irritating than reading "Photos don't do it justice!" or "Go to my Web site and watch a video clip/virtual tour". I rarely do, because a large percentage of the time, it doesn't work, or I'm not at my computer, or I don't have time to get stuck in an 18-minute flash with an annoying sound track ... and the next guy has taken the time to mail me a couple of nice photos, so I move on.
That's always what you're up against: The person with the great idea who also "gets" the needs of the process.
It's in YOUR interest to present your work in its best light. And many of us are working on crappy old computers, with outdated software, so we may not be able to look at your disk or jpeg/tiff whatever.
It's also easier to pass the packet around to other editors/design people etc., and better than printing out a good color photo in bad B&W.
Editors are not evil or stupid (most, anyway). We just get worn down.
Good luck with your project.

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
Garden Writers Association...
I'm wondering if someone can help me with this topic....
GreenGardensGirl
Restaurants with gardens?
Hello, I'm researching a story about restaurants with...
WinterGardener
Garden Writing, an uncertain art
One problem with writing about gardens and plants is...
John_D
What Makes A Garden Writer?
What, indeed, makes a garden writer? Give me your opinion...
eddie_ga_7a
Garden Writers Meeting Boston
The Garden Writers Association regional meeting will...
clfo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™