need help please with plant choices

faerieannette(z7 MD)November 16, 2007

Hi there everyone,

I posted something similar to the native plants forum but wanted to know if you guys have helpful info to share as well.

I am volunteering to help redo the native animal displays at the childrenÂs museum. This is an indoor display currently with several animals native to Maryland such as a corn snake, gray tree frog, a hermit crab, many turtles and more. I plan on creating beautiful and captivating environment for each animal. I want to also include native plants in the displays for the animals to climb on or hide in.

What plants can I use that will be okay indoors without need a stage of dormancy?

I am also thinking of having hanging baskets and planters between exhibits with information telling about the plants.

I plan on moving the eastern box turtles outside because they really benefit from hibernating (and there really is no room for inside) so plant choices there are also appreciated. Though my main concern is having native plants in a non native indoor environment!

The important considerations are that this is a childrenÂs museum so colorful and interesting textures are desired!

Also the plants need to be non toxic of course: for both the childrenÂs sake as well as the animals.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

-Annette

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I honestly cannot come up with a list of plants that would be native to that area and would thrive or even survive inside.

Bookmark   December 21, 2007 at 10:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ncrescue

I have no experience with indoor plants, either, but I do remember seeing many natives used at the SC Aquarium in Charleston when I visited there several years ago. In particular I remember seeing lots of native ferns. Also, I think they have used natives in some of the exhibits in Chattanooga's aquarium. You need to contact those two places, especially the one in Charleston, to see what they have used. Good luck.

Bookmark   December 22, 2007 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
mountain laurel (kalmia latifolia)
I have a shrub in my backyard and have determined it...
kypawpaw
questions on English ivy
I'm in zone 6, suburban New Jersey, and have a yard...
loris
Woodland Graden
We have acquired a property with wooded backyard,for...
nightmart
Has anyone tried this?
You know how asian bittersweet and wild grape vine...
adidas
What to Do with Wild Brambles?
In my wooded areas, I have a lot of brambles, mostly...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™