serviceberry

woodlandpixie_6December 6, 2005

Does anyone know how long it takes for a seviceberry ,Amelanchier canadensis,to bloom after planting? Mine is 4 yrs., is 4 ft tall, has been moved

once. I've read it blooms easily on a small plant. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

How much sun is it getting? I think serviceberry benefits from 5-6 hours of sun and that directly affects its ability to bloom.

Bookmark   December 7, 2005 at 10:17AM
woodlandpixie_6

esh, It gets east light in the morning, maybe 2 hrs. , general diffused
north during the day, and a hit of west for an hour at about 4 pm.
I thought it was an understory shrub/tree and would bloom in lower light conditions ?
If it needs more light I can move it to the front in a more open
position in the spring after I wait to see if it blooms next year.
Pixie

Bookmark   December 7, 2005 at 11:14AM
esh_ga

Pixie, I think you might be able to tell already if it is going to bloom. When I look at my dormant serviceberries now (and I have several), they have elongated plump buds (perhaps 3/8 of an inch long) with just a bit of white fluff in the tip of the bud. These are in sun here in zone 7. Sun is defined as 6 hours or greater.

When I look at a young tree that I rescued that is in a pot in the shade (so it is young, stressed and in shade), it has much smaller buds (perhaps 3/16 of an inch) that are not as plump and any white fluff that is showing is very tiny.

Now I am a zone ahead of you, but you might be able to inspect your tree for these characteristics. Of course moving it now will not affect next spring's bloom anyway so you could wait until spring. A much more shade tolerant tree might be the American styrax. Mine bloomed beautifully in shade this year.

Bookmark   December 7, 2005 at 3:06PM
bhrost(zone 5 NY)

It's not an understory plant, it's a woodland edge or open field type of plant. I've seen 3 foot plants flowering profusely in old pastures, and larger plants in heavier shade with very few flowers. If you have a sunnier spot you might want to consider moving it if you want a good flowering display.

Bookmark   December 8, 2005 at 3:23PM
woodlandpixie(z6 NJ)

Thanks for the information, the buds are small ,narrow, and delicate- leaf not flower buds I suspect. It has such a beautiful
vase shape I'd like to move it in front of an evergeen to highlight
the winter form. This would be a full sun position. Can I keep it
small and delicate in full sun?
esh, I have a line of stryax along the fence, limbed high because
the horizontal spread is 10 ft . I believe they are Japanese not
American. What is the difference? Pixie

Bookmark   December 8, 2005 at 4:41PM
knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)

I have 3 serviceberry in deep shade inside my woods and they bloom and form fruit just satisfactorily.

I think your shrub may just be a bit stressed from the move so I would just leave it be. Ideally more sun would be beneficial but I think another move would just stress it further.

In deep shade my shrubs don't get as MANY blooms and fruits as they would in more sun but they do just fine. The autumn colours aren't as dramatic either but they still turn orange, just not as brilliant as the ones that are in sun.

Barb
southern Ontario, CANADA zone 6a

Bookmark   December 9, 2005 at 9:29AM
esh_ga

Hi Pixie,

I don't really know the difference between the American and the Japanese styrax. I've never looked into the japanese one, only having my American ones through rescue efforts in development areas.

Bookmark   December 9, 2005 at 9:50PM
woodlandpixie(z6 NJ)

knottyceltic,
Thanks for you're input. We had an extreme drought this summer. The corner where the serviceberry lives is normally a moister area that completely dries out in the summer. This year that area suffered the most.I just couldn't water enough .
Pixie

Bookmark   December 10, 2005 at 7:02PM
Jodie1718

Hello. I have 7 young standing ovation serviceberries that were planted in late May here in the Twin Cities, MN. They have afternoon western exposure. They are planted on a slight incline with mulch, have had adequate water I believe, but they just aren't growing, have very few leaves. Is this stress from planting? Have deer been nibbling? Should I fertilize? We had a terrible winter last year and I am worried they won't make it through another winter lime that.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 9:55AM
adidas(6/7)

Not sure how A. alnifolia compares to A. canadensis (I have this one). However, I don't think they are terribly sensitive to bad winters and I have not given mine any special treatment...I just planted them this Spring and they seem to be easy to care for BUT contrary to many "deer resistant" lists that claim deer will not eat these...THEY DO!!! Five out of the seven trees I planted lost all their leaves to hungry deer...the good news is that once I put cages around the trees the leaves quickly grew back and they are just fine now. So maybe your problem is w/deer too?

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 4:05PM
More Discussions
anyone have a fairy glen fern?
or know of a place to get one?
bragu_DSM 5
Problem With My Redbud Tree
Greetings! We planted a native Redbud this Spring,...
suzieQ_MI
Woodland Graden
We have acquired a property with wooded backyard,for...
nightmart
Has anyone tried this?
You know how asian bittersweet and wild grape vine...
adidas
when to transplant lily of the valley
I bought a couple of half gallon (I think) pots of...
komi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™