how can I get rid of a small beehive?

ibheriJuly 8, 2012

I noticed a small beehive in the honeysuckle I have in my backyard. Its still very small and I want to remove it before it gets too big. I see a bee guarding its fort very protectively. I can see only one sitting guard all the time. Can I use some spray ?

Indu

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Are you sure it is bees, or is it the start of a paper wasp nest? If a wasp nest just hit it with a hard blast of water to knock it down. The wasps can't fly and sting when their wings are wet.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 8:36PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

Contact your county extension agent and get the name and number of someone that will remove the bees. You don't want to kill them since we are losing so many bees!

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 12:10AM
ibheri

Uhmm, now that you ask Roselee I am thinking if its something else. It looked like a beehive to me. I tried to scare it away. It flew out and I noticed that it has a reddish color to it. Well, I think I was more scared because I was the one who ran for cover :) I will try and take a picture today. The lawn moving guy helps me with trimming the plants. He said something stung him when he tried to cut a few branches off the honeysuckle.

@ ltcollins, thnx I will contact the extension agent. Since its just very small I thought I could try something myself.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 9:41AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Do try to take a picture of the nest so it can be determined what kind of insect it is and go from there.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 11:10AM
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

Sounds like red wasps. Some made a nest in the outside mirror of my pickup. It really hurt when they stung me. One stung me twice behind my right ear and that lymph node really hurt.

Here is a link that might be useful: red wasp

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 5:35PM
bossjim1

Indu, it sounds like Red Wasp to me too. There is a spray called "Wasp and Hornet" spray. It comes in a tall spray can and is designed to spray a foam from 15 or 20 feet away. Stand back, spray the nest and wasps that are on it, then leave the nest in place. Any that were gone will be killed when they return and land on the nest. Good luck!
Jim

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 8:21AM
ibheri

Thnx Jim, I will try that.

I was able to get out and take a picture. Not sure if its clear enough, but I didn't want to get too close :(

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 11:45AM
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

OH YES! It is a wasp nest.

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 1:19PM
Ann_in_Houston(z9 Houston)

I know this post is several days old but I wanted to add that my best results with killing wasp nests is to wait until dark-thirty or so, and spray when they are all 'at home'. It does have a residual effect, like Jim said, but this just ensures better success for me.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 2:52PM
ibheri

Thank you all, it was a very busy week both at work and home, plus the rain I didn't get to take it down yet. Thnx for all the advise, will follow your suggestions.
Indu

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 12:17AM
More Discussions
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
Lady Banks on roof
Lady Banks, Old Blush, and Mermaid (not yet blooming)...
catheyz8rr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™