What is ailing this tomato??

cablestarman(NE OH 6a)July 13, 2014

This is the first time I have seen anything like this. I have had early blight before and was able to control it. It is affecting the top leaves of this roma instead of the bottom, they turn yellow and the tip of one of the stems is limp. I found some salt damage pics on web, but that just doesn't seem right to me. The tomatoes on either side are unaffected.

Thanks,
Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cablestarman(NE OH 6a)

Another pic

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 6:35PM
emmers_m(9a/Sunset 7 N Cal)

I believe I have the same issue - the leaves on an entire side stem are yellowing and the growing tip of that stem is wilted. Is that the same as what you're seeing?

In my case it is showing up on several plants in one of my beds. I'm used to the full suite of foliage diseases, but haven't encountered this before.

~emmers

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:46AM
jimmy56_gw

Looks like some kind of fungus, Try this site, http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/PhotoPages/PhotoGallery.htm

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 8:29AM
cablestarman(NE OH 6a)

Fusarium wilt sure sounds like it to me. I think I'm going to have to pull it out and put some clear plastic on it, rather than cutting off the leaves. Anybody deal with this before? Is it best just to pull the entire plant?

http://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/plant-disease/fusarium-wilt/

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 10:22AM
michael723(6)

Without more info and with just a quick look, the plant looks deficient in iron.. It doesn't appear to be fusarium as it has maintained its turgidity for the most part (or have the symptoms JUST begun?).. For curiosity's sake, cut open a stem to see if the characteristic brown streaks are working their way around the xylem .. Also, check the limp branch at night to see if it improves as this would point towards fusarium as well.

An iron def will cause limp new growth and eventually complete chlorosis as your displaying as well; it will start with new growth as you've also described (less mobile mineral)..

So if you slice a stem and don't see the characteristic brown streaking of fusarium then the question is, what's up with your growing conditions, ie. soil ph (this is a big one as it could lock out multiple minerals) feeding schedule, feeding approach (thinking synthetics as you questioned salt damage), watering schedule, light exposure etc..

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 11:31AM
ncrealestateguy

I agree with Michael... there are no signs of fungus nor wilt at all.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 12:19PM
cablestarman(NE OH 6a)

Here is a close up of a leaf and the limp stem I removed.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 12:21PM
cablestarman(NE OH 6a)

Here is the stem cut open.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 12:24PM
michael723(6)

Yea that's fusarium IMO .. I'd pull that plant, bag it and get it off your property.. Has it spread to others? Btw, what's up with the pails of water, I'm guessing (definitely hoping lol) you have some mosquito dunks in there?

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 1:13PM
cablestarman(NE OH 6a)

I pulled it. I'm surprised it hasn't spread to the adjacent tomatoes. There is a Mortgage Lifter on one side and an Early Girl on the other (The leaves were touching that Roma, but they aren't affected) I put some clear plastic over the hole in the black plastic mulch to solarize the soil. Maybe it's not even in the soil, is it possible it was already in the plant? Just find it odd it did not affect any other tomatoes. That's what I love about gardening, always something different every year and you learn along the way.

That's steeped compost tea in the buckets. I gotta put the lids on them. What would the world be like without mosquitoes? LOL. I don't really have a problem with the mosquitoes, plus there a some frogs in the buckets (but my neighbors might :) The mosquito dunks sound interesting since they are organic.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 1:48PM
More Discussions
What is a good source for heirloom tomato seeds in Canada?
I've decided to get into heirloom tomato this year....
lemonbasil
Pruning lower tomato branches
When the seedlings are established - we prune the lower...
hudson___wy
Cost effective hydroponic media for 5 gallon DIY dutch bucket
I started gardening two years ago growing tomatoes...
miguelngel
Container size for tomatos
I'm considering some of the larger tomato plants. How...
jrh02139
Solo Cups vs Ribbed Pots
Cost factor is in favor of the cups, especially if...
hoosier40 6a Southern IN
Sponsored Products
Mora Leather Chair - Brighton Zinc Beige
Joybird Furniture
Tommy Bahama Embroidered Pineapple 3 Piece Towel set - 199195
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Reaching for the Sun
| Dot & Bo
Titan Lighting Pendant Lights Fusion 1-Light Satin Nickel Pendant with White
Home Depot
Alvin PORTA-TRACE Light Table - TC2436K
Hayneedle