How do I build steps into woodland

lvannote(z5IN)December 13, 2006

Does anybody have any ideas about making paths accesseble on steep grades through woods. I cannot afford to use stone . I might be able to cut some fallen trees up to make steps , but I am not sure that will work. My woods is all hills and I am getting old. Please help.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob64(6)

Here is a web address for some instructions I found:

http://homegarden.realtor.com/HomeGarden/HomeImprovement/HowTos/HowTos/CRHO_InstallingGroundSteps.asp?poe=homestore

Winding switchback trails would be less steep than a straight climb, would require less actual steps. You can anchor the occasional steps in a switchback trail by digging them in a bit and staking with re-bar or with "deadmen" if you are really ambitious. Try the hillside forum also.

Bookmark   December 13, 2006 at 5:50PM
drummrgrl(7)

Most of my friends dig steps.
You might place a board on the lip of the step, but mostly they just have dirt steps through the woods. It's a bit labor intensive in the beginning but seems to hold up. I was just talking to a friend who did them originally 10 years ago and they still look great.

Bookmark   January 30, 2007 at 5:18PM
knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)

yes, as drummergirl says, you place a barrier in front of each terrace you wish to make and then backfill to create the level terrace or step. Very simple but lots of back breaking shovelling to backfill if you don't have a mechanical means such as a mini-backhoe or something.

Barb

Bookmark   February 4, 2007 at 11:08AM
terissd

We have the same problem with a steep slope to the wonderful lower garden. We dig steps every spring and the rains wash them to gullies. I hesitate to put down old railroad ties or split logs because these can become very slippery during rains. I guess eventually we'll end up laying down some flat stone like limestone.

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
White trillium
Is there an online source for Great White Trilliums? Thank...
redspruce
questions on English ivy
I'm in zone 6, suburban New Jersey, and have a yard...
loris
Anyone had experience w/ Aralia elata?
Hello. Has anyone dealt w/the eradication of this one?...
adidas
plants with clinging seeds, and their seasons
Hello, I am working an an art project that involves...
donbonus
What to Do with Wild Brambles?
In my wooded areas, I have a lot of brambles, mostly...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™