Shading for Fall Garden?

Jaeger62(8a)July 9, 2012

I have a small garden plot (approximately 20'x16') and am thinking about building a DIY shade canopy system for July/August transplants and seedlings. Combined with a new drip tape irrigation system I'm going to install I think my plants would be helped getting established this summer.

Would this be beneficial to me or a waste of time/resources? I was going to use PVC pipe for the frame and 30% shade cloth on top for the shading. It would be simple to take down after the worst of August is over and could be used year to year. Was thinking it would also give me a little extra production from my spring crops next July?

Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smichel(8)

I, too am interested in planting a fall garden and wondered when do you decide to tear out the old and put in the new? My squash,cucumbers and okra are still doing well & one yellow pear tomato but the beans, red tomatoes, & yellow squash have given out or never did well. I did pull them out. Is it ok to bury the plants in the garden to start composting the soil where they were growing? I live in Central TX and it stays hot until way into Sept. so wouldn't the transplants of broccoli, cabbage, etc. wilt in our TX heat and sun? Or do you plant only seeds for a fall garden? I like the idea of putting up shade cloth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mia's Garden

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 2:08PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Shade is good. I would go for it. I am planting my tomatoes in big buckets because my other tomatoes aren't done yet. I will keep the tomaroes in the shade till I uproot the old tomatoes.My garden is also 16 X 20'. Most is bare but I don't want to put the fall tomatoes where the it is bare because that is next years spot for tomatoes. With this rain and cool night time temps, I am hoping for another rush of tomatoes. Is that asking for too much? The watering is easier in the buckets also.

I invested in Frost cloth for my winter garden and that is three years old so far.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 9:37PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I agree. Sounds like a good idea. I put up sheets on poles tied at the corners with heavy rubber bands to shade some of the roses from last summer's intense heat and sun, but it wasn't very attractive ... LOL Just in case I've been buying up all the used beach umbrellas I can find. So far I have four, which I hope won't be needed.

One of the rose club exhibitors in San Antonio built a really nice shade frame with PVC pipe. He made it so the shade cloth was attached with rings so it could be rolled back when needed.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Establishing Liatris punctata in caliche washes
I entered this post in the prairies and meadows forum...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
Need suggestions for a privacy hedge along my fence line
My backyard is about 3/4 of an acre and our HOA requires...
5995richmond
Need weed resistant ground cover
Nutsedge is killing me.
judgebes
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™