starting pine trees by cuttings..now

xcaret(Calgary Alberta)December 21, 2009

In the fall I took a few cuttings off some ornamental pine trees ,they were more like bushes ,but I don't know their name. I striped the needles off them except for the end ones and put each one in a take-out coffee cup full of dirt.I watered them and now here in Alberta it's cold and my plants are in frozaen dirt. I'm wondering if 3 weeks of being froozen are long enough to be able to bring them inside to let them thaw and start growing.. Anyone try this yet??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Well to begin with, pines do not take very well from cuttings (they are almost always propagated commercially from seed or by grafting) so your chances of success are limited.

Second, allowing the root mass - if there is any - to freeze is not a great idea. Roots of even very hardy plants are the parts most susceptible to cold damage. Typically they are protected by the insulating properties of the surrounding soil. Anything in a container and especially in a very small container like a take-out cup will be extremely vulnerable.

I've attached a link to a previous thread from the Conifers forum that discussed growing conifers from cuttings. There is some excellent info there as to the correct timing and methods involved that will hopefully be helpful to you.

Unfortunately, I doubt your current crop of cuttings will take given the methods you've outlined. And again, pines are extremely tricky to propagate via this method and most hobby growers don't even try. OTOH, starting them from seeds generally produces decent, if slow, results.

Here is a link that might be useful: rooting conifer cuttings

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
Invasive Cleaning
I figure the climate in the east is so favorable to...
redsun9
mountain laurel (kalmia latifolia)
I have a shrub in my backyard and have determined it...
kypawpaw
Problem With My Redbud Tree
Greetings! We planted a native Redbud this Spring,...
suzieQ_MI
Bittersweet
I am wanting to find some bittersweet. I am willing...
ohiocrafter
anyone raised hickory trees from seed?
I have a bumper supply of hickory nuts this fall, and...
OldGrove
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™