swedish aspens

xcaret(Calgary Alberta)December 21, 2009

I took some cuttings of swedish aspens and put then in a pot of dirt this fall,then kept them watered . Only 2 out of about 5 looked like they may have kept on living.Now its freezing and they are in my unheated shed. I'm going to bring them inside after a wek or so to see if they are going to start growing.Does anyone know if Swedish Aspens should be started as cuttings. I tried it earlier this year but they just died like a picked flower.

Neil

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Neil, I'd suggest you find yourself a copy of a good text on woody plant propagation -- I'd recommend The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation by Michael Dirr. You should be able to find it at your library or can order on Amazon.

There is a science to growing trees from cuttings -- you can't just take a twig and stuff it into soil and expect it to grow. Timing of the cuttings, size, heat, humidity, light, the need for a rooting hormone (or not) all come into play. And some plants just do not take well from cuttings at all and require other methods of propagation. In general, aspens and other members of the Populus genus are typically easy to root from cuttings but timing and methods are everything with regards to the success of this practice.

You could also pose your questions on the Propagation forum here on GW. There's a lot of very experienced growers there who might be able help further.

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 12:54PM
More Discussions
Bittersweet
I am wanting to find some bittersweet. I am willing...
ohiocrafter
What to Do with Wild Brambles?
In my wooded areas, I have a lot of brambles, mostly...
redsun9
when to transplant lily of the valley
I bought a couple of half gallon (I think) pots of...
komi
Jack in the Pulpit Propagation
A youth group cleaned my garden and clipped three JITP...
Elgie
plants with clinging seeds, and their seasons
Hello, I am working an an art project that involves...
donbonus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™