Unknown pear shaped tomato - ID?

mjhuntingtonbeachJuly 7, 2013

I found this tomato at a farmer's market, lumped in with a lot of varieties under the heading of "heirloom tomato" I thought it looked interesting, so I picked one up to maybe save some seeds. Pear shaped, large, pointed tip at the wide end, red. Cut it open and there was very little gel, almost like a stuffer tomato, so I suppose it is meant to be a paste tomato.

I tried to find something looking like this online, noticed one tomato called "Etoile" that was similar, Tomatofest had one called "New Zealand Pink Pear" that looks similar but this one is not pink.

Any ideas what this variety is?

Thanks.

Picture from the outside first, will attached a picture of the tomato halved next.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjhuntingtonbeach

A view cut open.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 6:51PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

As we tell everyone else who ask for an ID from a photo - it's impossible to do. Best we can do is narrow it down to 20-30 possible varieties (that's how many Tatiana's list) and then guess. Looks like one of the many stuffer varieties, is red, and pear shaped so my guess is....Italian Red Pear or...Ukrainain Pear or...Red Stuffer or....

But there is no way you can ever know for sure much less prove it. So just grow it and enjoy and don't try to slap a name on it because it would likely be incorrect.

Dave

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 7:44PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Could be a pear, but the insides look misformed to me. Might be a misshapen round or oblate.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 9:09PM
annabs(4)

Did you find the name of the pear shaped tomato you questioned in July 2013? I, in August 2014, bought a couple at the farmers market in Hyannis, MA. My searching leads me to double helix farm in Arkansas and a variety, 100 pounds. They are delicious and I hope we can find seed to grow them in Vermont.
Is this similar to the one you posted?

Here is a link that might be useful: image and description of the tomato 100 pounds

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 2:28PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

What Steve shows at his website called 100 lbs is typical of many varieties that are called piriform shaped and I'll try to link to just one quiclly.

Link at the bottom.

Big bottom with ribbed sides tapering towards the top.

There are many of them known, both reds and pinks, with more specific names than just piriform/

A lot of them have Albengo as part of the name and mosr originated in Italy or Spain.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Piriform

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 6:08PM
More Discussions
Can I prevent mealy tomatoes?
I cut open my first ripen tomato and it was totally...
snoop92
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
Your Favorite Black / brown Tomatoes
Per title, Mine are as follows: ==CHEROKEE PURPLE (repeat) ==...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Supermarket Tomato Plants
I planted a few seeds from Supermarket tomatoes because...
garf_gw
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™