Time to Fertilize New Lawn?

rumbleseatJune 23, 2006

Hi Lawn Doctor,

It's been about four weeks since we planted our new lawn (ryegrass and bluegrass). We've had a TON of rain in the last month and we're thinking that maybe instead of waiting until six weeks to fertilize the lawn (as per seed manufacturer's instructions), we should do it now because of all the rain. We heard somewhere that heavy rain "washes away" the fertilizer. We're noticing many weeds and little critters in the lawn. What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yarddoctor

Dear Rumbleseat,

Thank you very much for the inquiry. I agree with you, it is time to fertilize the lawn again. On new seedings, I like to go at 4 and 8 weeks after seeding. Keep using a starter fertilizer that has a soluble N source. This will provide nutrients quickly to young plants. You can go with a more traditional combination slow and quick release nitrogen fertilizer this fall.

Once you have mowed the lawn twice, go ahead and start if you have not already, you can control the broadleaf weeds with a three-way herbicide like Tri-Mec. If you have crabgrass, you may want to add Drive (quinclorac) at a 1/3 rate.

Again thanks for the inquiry.

Respectfully,

Trey Rogers
The Yard Doctor

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 2:15PM
mlmathew_rediffmail_com

I am a new resident, and owning new house with a existing lawn. I don,t what is type of grass , what fertilizer and when to use it? but I think I missed the first chance to fertilise the grass. So need an advice from you.

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 4:39PM
jhickson1_cfl_rr_com

We had a patio put in and the grass that was harvested from where the patio was laid was used to fill the ruts from the heavy equipment. What fertilizer would be best to urge rapid growth. Avg temps run high 70F to 100F. The grass is st. Augustine.

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
I have an armadillo
I live in the gulf coast area of Texas. I have a BEAUTIFUL...
dahlia_newbie
How to get rid of Creeping Charlie
Dr. Rogers- I have been fighting to a stand off with...
andyandy
Fertilizing with 10-10-10
I talked to a person that had a beautiful lawn the...
sharpclaws
Creeping red fescue?
What a great idea this forum is!!! I have a DH who...
nottaclue2
Virginia Buttonweed
Thanks to the kind and helpful folks in the "Name...
tex_cin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™