lawn redo

softfurnJune 18, 2006

Hi . I have a lawn which looks like mostly weeds. What would be the best plan of attack to make it look like healthy green grass. Do I kill off the weeds first and then replant seed? Or do I fertalize and hope the grass will choke the weeds out? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yarddoctor

I can help better here if I know the State where this lawn is located.

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 6:53AM
softfurn

I'm in NY State...specifically, Long Island. Thanks

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 7:18AM
CraftingMomma(Z5 MA)

My front lawn is the same as Softfurn's ... some grass ... lots of weeds. So I'd be interested in hearing the reply on this issue as well. I live in Massachusetts (zone 5).

An additional problem I have in my back yard ... my lawn and flower gardens are getting over run with moss. It's rather quickly erradicating any grass I had and starting to choke out the flowers in some of the garden beds. My backyard is mostly shadey (but not full shade) ... and lots of pine trees.

In advance ... thanks for any advice.

Joyce

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 10:48AM
softfurn

Is the Doctor in??? I'm bringing this back up.

Bookmark   June 23, 2006 at 7:49AM
yarddoctor

Thank you very much for the inquiry. The first step is to try to identify the weeds. Some will be broadleaf and some grassy weeds. This will help us in knowing how to proceed. It is imperative that we control the weeds so that they will not compete with the grass seedlings. We will most likely apply a herbicide to the lawn, followed by seed and starter fertilizer. If crabgrass is a problem, you will need to control these weeds and this is not easy on Long Island due to chemical restrictions. For this reason, it may be best that you save this renovation for early September when the crabgrass is going to die and the grass seedlings will have the least weed pressure.

Again thanks for the inquiry.

Respectfully,

Trey Rogers
The Yard Doctor

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 2:00PM
kvs933_aol_com

I've read the responses to the lawn redo. I live in South San Francisco and I have the same issue with the lawn...WEEDS
What would you recommend for this area?

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 5:33PM
luvlife

I am having the same problem. the dandelions are so bad. what can i do to make my lawn look good. what weedkiller should i use and when do i reseed the lawn?

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 9:40PM
yarddoctor

Ok guys,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. I missed this thread somehow. The question of will grass choke out weeds if I start mowing, watering and fertilizing correctly is one we have pondered for some time. Time seems to be the operative word, as it will take quite a bit of it if you choose the no herbicide approach. Our belief is that if you start with a weed free lawn and perform the three practices above correctly, you can keep out the majority of weeds. We prescribe a theory we call Âresetting the clock (coined by my weed scientist friend, Ron Calhoun.), where you apply a herbicide to knock out the current weeds in your lawn and then fertilize, mow and water to promote healthy turf that keeps weeds from germinating. To just knock out the weeds and not do the lawn care practices correctly will only lead to the weeds returning and your need to apply the herbicide again.

Will this produce a 100% weed free lawn? No. But, you will be able walk your lawn with a small bottle or hand dig.

So the prescription is to apply the herbicide (Bayer or Ortho all in one products are great here) , fertilize to promote grass growth, and mow following the one-third rule to promote proper tillering (spread) of the grass to keep weeds from returning. Now you know the secret.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 7:13AM
shulmsiter2820_comcast_net

My dad's lawn needs to be compleatly redone. It hasn't been watered (other than rain) in at least 5 years and was filled with long grassy weeds. I've cut down the weeds but I want to know what my next step should be. Should I aply an herbicide then till it, or will tilling it and removing the top 3 inches do the job? Also it's getting pretty hot here in Sacramento so should I wait until fall before resoding? This lawn has alot of potential but right now it's a mess! please help. Thank you very much for your time.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 10:42PM
maillot_jaune_ymail_com

I'm in a situation similar to mike9b.. my yard is a mixture of dead grass and slowly dying crab grass.. it hasn't been watered in some time and am wondering what the best way is to reset it all and start over from scratch.. I also live in Sacramento.

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 7:54AM
More Discussions
Possible plant disease?
Hi, Leaves on one of my new hedges have a white powder...
Dean Maunder
Repairing a lawn with 'buried rock syndrome'
The house I bought five years ago is in a neighborhood...
girlfromthegarden
How to keep critters out of vegetable garden
Hi! I live in a very wooded neighborhood, and there's...
micrazy
Brown Cedar worms w/ carry-on baggage ?
My Cedar has recently become infested with worms that...
skyblossom
Virginia Buttonweed
Thanks to the kind and helpful folks in the "Name...
tex_cin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™