Yellow shrimp: Is this sun damage or what?

roselee z8b S.W. TexasJuly 14, 2014

We recently had to take down a large tree and many of the plants are getting a lot more sun than usual, but I'm not sure if this damage to the yellow shrimp plant flowers is from being in full sun or something else.

Has anyone else seen this on their shrimp plants?. The fruit cocktail shrimp variety is showing it also.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southofsa

I think so. When I took down the mesquite in front I remember getting some of that on one of my shrimp plants. But I get it some when I forget to water too long and they get a bit fried. Maybe they need more water with the tree down until they get adjusted? Just a thought.

Lisa

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 10:31PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Thanks Lisa! I'm hoping it's just too much sun frying them and not something worse like chilli thrips. I tapped the blooms over white paper and examined with a 10 power loupe and didn't see any of those very tiny thrips that can't be seen with anything less than 10 power.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 10:48PM
bossjim1

Roselee, my lighter colored shrimp plants do that too. I think it is just a combination of high humidity followed by intense sunshine. It is usually the older blooms that are affected. When more of the blooms look bad than look good, I just shear it off a couple of inches and let it rebloom.

Jim

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 10:05AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Jim, thank you! I'm breathing a sigh of relief that's the damage is from the blasting afternoon sun, which I can deal with by eventually moving it or in the short term by using another umbrella, and not chilli thrips. This yellow variety, that you passed along, is my favorite. It's always covered in blooms. I think the variety may be 'Lemon Sorbet'.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 11:19AM
More Discussions
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
Plant Quiz: What are these?
Here's a quiz. I pulled these seeds from a plant in...
Christopher (Dallas Garden) Miller
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™