Transforming hayfield to lawn

pacountrygirl_2008June 25, 2008

We are building our dream home in a very rural, wooded area, along the the back of a river & the edge of an existing hay field (south western Pennsylvania). Early on, I felt fortunate, thinking all we needed to do was cut the grass & we would have instant yard. After the initial cutting (3 weeks ago) with the DR field trimmer, we have now been able to cut it twice with a regular lawn mower. Although it has the appearance of "a lawn", it is not the soft grass that calls you to kick off your shoes and walk bare foot. Will the thick stemmed grasses eventually die out now that we are cutting it regularly? Should we over seed in order to thicken & soften? I am reluctant to apply a weed & feed type product as it will be costly to treat 2+ acres and eventually it is our desire to transform at least 1 acre into a wildflower meadow.

Anxiously waiting to feel the cool soft grass under my toes & greatful for your advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yarddoctor

Dear Pa Country Girl,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. The frequent mowing will get rid of grasses that are not suited for lawns, just because they cannot take the mowing, so keep doing this regularly. As for overseeding, I would use a general mix of Kentucky bluegrass/perennial ryegrass/and fine fescue at 150 lbs/Acre. Seed this around Labor Day and keep mowing. Fertilize at time of seeding with a starter fertilizer.

As far as weed control, you choose the area you want to control. You can apply a product called Trimec (or Weed B Gon plus crabgrass killer) now and/or again in early October.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 10:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lewis_m_att_net

Would the process be the same if the hay field was in or around Birmingham, Alabama?

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
Weeping Cherry is losing leaves
I planted a weeping cherry on the edge of my flower...
evansc3
Repairing a lawn with 'buried rock syndrome'
The house I bought five years ago is in a neighborhood...
girlfromthegarden
I want to remove deep roots . . . once and for all!
Hello, I've tried shoveling out some deep roots, but...
figsinhawaii
Dandelions and Clover
Question about reducing specific weeds in my yard....
katefisher
Fertilizing with 10-10-10
I talked to a person that had a beautiful lawn the...
sharpclaws
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™