Caramel Coloring

silversword(9A)September 19, 2013

Food Babe is where I get a lot of my food information. She posted this about Starbucks... which made me look up caramel coloring in our food. Evidently it's everywhere. Coke and Pepsi said they'd remove it from their products (to a level that's less potentially harmful, because they don't want to have to put a "may cause cancer" sticker on their cans in California), but as far as I know Pepsi still Pepsi still contains too much carcinogens.

I find it interesting that in the article above they say "Consumers need to be aware of the big picture: Even water can be toxic in unhealthy amounts -- or vitamins or fiber."

The Food and Drug Administration says that a consumer would need to consume more than 1,000 cans of soda every day to reach the doses linked to cancer in rodent studies.

That may be true. But how many other food items have the caramel coloring in them? And combined with other additives? Who knows?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sabotaged at Starbucks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jodik_gw

"That may be true. But how many other food items have the caramel coloring in them? And combined with other additives? Who knows?"

Add to that the various processing... and who knows?

This is why we've completely changed how we eat.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 11:26AM
cookie8(zone 5 ON)

The more you change your diet and think about how you eat the more our "food" makes no sense whatsoever. I can't believe I was conditioned to afraid and turned off by so many natural foods but I had no qualms about eating a snack pack of cheeze and crackers (years ago). Crazy and wrong.
Oh, and I used add caramel colouring to my gravy. What was I thinking.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 2:36PM
littleonefb(zone 5, MA)

"What was I thinking."

The same thing just about all of us where thinking "back then". We didn't know what we know now, the information wasn't available to us, the studies that tell us the things they do now weren't done then and/or results weren't made public.

We where just plain "naive" then and now we aren't.

We make the changes in our lives, our diets now that we can, make the knowledge available to our children, grandchildren etc.

AND

move on from there and not dwell on what we did "when we didn't know any better" and question things now so that we don't repeat the same mistakes now that we did then and didn't know they where mistakes.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 4:04PM
jodik_gw

Cookie is right... so much of what is offered as food makes no sense in the arena of actual nutrition or what food is supposed to be.

I'm so glad we question everything! Too much of "authority" on anything comes from within that industry... so, how much of a true authority are they? What is the real motivation? Money.

A lot of "how we eat" makes no sense, either... as an example, we are the only mammal that drinks milk, taken from another mammal, post weaning. Why?

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 11:11AM
More Discussions
Donald Trump to launch exploratory committee
because... "the only one who can make America...
duluthinbloomz4
Angola
"Religious organisations are required to apply...
labrea_gw
When median incomes are down 15% there is no 'economic recovery'
Wisconsin is #1 in the US for shrinking middle class...
Lena M
Watched a movie the other day.
Made me think and then base my quotes for the next...
don_socal
The Shocking Finding From the DOJ's Ferguson Report Not Noticed
The Shocking Finding From the DOJ's Ferguson Report...
chijim
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™