Torpedo Grass

lovesroses(z8 AL)June 17, 2006

Have the dread torpedo grass in centipede and bermuda (Tifway) lawns. So far, only thing I've read is Drive 75 and (Vantage or Manage); one for centipede, one for bermuda.

Questions: I'm leary of commercial lawn care companies. Is there a prayer of a chance that I can manage to control the torpedo grass on my own without killing the centipede in one lawn and bermuda in the other? When's the best time in lower Alabama, how often, and anything else I need to know and/or read.

Thank you so much,

Dianne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yarddoctor

Dear Dianne,

Thank you very much for the inquiry. One option for you is to apply the herbicides yourself. You can obtain Drive in small quantities from LESCO stores and possibly other places as more and more are starting to carry it. I believe you can get the Manage as well. The summertime is the best time to combat this weedy grass. It will take patience and multiple applications. Follow the directions on the label, please.

Again thanks for the inquiry.

Respectfully,

Trey Rogers
The Yard Doctor

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 2:46PM
ccollins_knology_net

i have torpedo grass in zoysia and asiatic jasmine. will the drive 75 work on this too?

Bookmark   January 20, 2008 at 1:19PM
awildrose60_msn_com

I have the Torpedo grass in my rose bed. It is in the center and surrounding the bushes ....it is everywhere! How can I kill it and not harm my roses and other plants? I heard one person say that it does not harm some plants but which ones???? I have roses, lilies, annuals, salvia, gaura and others... it is growing like wildfire! I see it all over Jacksonville!

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 9:59PM
richardweekley_bellsouth_net

I originally saw a small bit of odd grass among my centipede about 3 years ago but my lawn service technician said it was an early form of centipede. Little did he know! This stuff has grown to large patches in several areas of my back yard. It's awful, and I'm wondering what threat it is to my trees, since it has such a network of bamboo-like runners deep under the surface, as well as rhiizomes that also resemble bamboo. It has gotten much worse this year, in spite of my attempts to control its further spread and encroachment into flower beds. I dug up a sample and took it to the county extension office, and the agent identified it as torpedo grass. Do you agree that's what this is, and do you have a suggestion for eradication? I hate the sound of "control" because I see this invasive grass as a threat to desirable grass. The beautiful centipede has been totally replaced by the invasive grass in large areas, and I only see this getting worse. I also see the possibility that this grass will rob the shrubs and trees of water and nutrients, and eventually it will be the only thing left. It seems hopeless, but I hope you're going to tell me it's not. And I'd also love to know where this came from-----potted plants from South Florida, perhaps?

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 10:04PM
werthcontracting_netzero_com

I recently put down some zoysia in pool area. It is getting taking over by torpedo grass. What can I do to control or kill this type of grass because it is starting to take over the beds and other areas of the subdivision? I have all types of different foilage. What will it harm or not harm? Please, please respond. I am desperate to get this matter under control and noone seems to be able to help me. Thank you.

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 10:05PM
gbskinnerjax_aol_com

I found the cure. I have ripped up all my grass and am in the process of replacing it with an "Arizona" yard. Full strength cooncentrate Roundup I applied with a smile. The project may cost a bit, but nothing compared to battling this stuff from Hades while the expenses of lawn maintenance pile up...I'm 61, so it's about time I sell the yard stuff and just enjoy the pool and trips to the gym.

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 3:30PM
More Discussions
Zoysia and Weed killer
My sister-in-law told me that if you put fertilizer...
colleenny
Fertilizing with 10-10-10
I talked to a person that had a beautiful lawn the...
sharpclaws
How Do you Kill it?
I have lots of a crawling grass spreads by underground...
jim23
Dutch White Clover -- 100% or Overseed?
I've already purchased inoculated Dutch White Clover...
joe_blowe
Possible plant disease?
Hi, Leaves on one of my new hedges have a white powder...
Dean Maunder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™