Golden Vicary Privet disease

lindago1(z7OK)June 26, 2008

I have recently planted a Privet. It has a few small holes in the leaves and also some of the leaves are curling. Can you recommend a treatment.

Thanks,

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yarddoctor

Dear Linda Go,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. I asked my garden expert Susan Gruber for a little help on this one. See her response below.

There are several insects that can cause small holes and/or leaf curling on privet. I would advise taking a sample to a local nursery or extension expert to get a positive ID of the pest before attempting control. It may not be beneficial to apply a pesticide at this point.
Leaf curling of foliage on newly planted shrubs may also be a sign of water stress. Be sure the plant gets a good soaking once a week. Allow the soil to become almost dry between waterings.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 7:42AM
meadow1811_aol_com

I have several Golden Vicary Privets in my yard and recently noticed a power mold growing on them. Is this a danger to my shrubs and if so how do I go about treating them before damage occurs?

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 9:09PM
cynthiafarrington_yahoo_com

I have 8 golen privets they are all about 10 yrs old. 2 of them facing south are again doing fine the other 6 appear to be in trouble 2 are facing south and 4 are facing the west. All have done very well over the years but the later 6 are now a grey/green color and do not appear to be growing. Are the dying or is it some sort of disease? Anything I can do?

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
Virginia Buttonweed
Thanks to the kind and helpful folks in the "Name...
tex_cin
Creeping red fescue?
What a great idea this forum is!!! I have a DH who...
nottaclue2
When to apply grub control?
I would like info on when to apply grub-ex or Bayer...
mad_about_mickey
Grubs.........Milky Spore question...
I have watched my lawn go downhill for the past several...
snc299
Brown grass over septic tank
About this time of year every year, we start to get...
rosiehb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™