Help with Moles

aorti2(z8 TX)June 22, 2008

Is there a way to get rid of moles? I live in East Texas and they are tearing up my lawn.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yarddoctor

Dear Aorti2

Thank you very much for your inquiry. Moles are a problem all over the US. There are many products out there that promise some level of control, most of which have some level of truth with results hard to verify or duplicate. The only method I am comfortable with recommending at this time that I know works is mechanical trapping. There are several types of traps, my favorite for most moles is the harpoon trap. You can buy these at any hardware store. The big issue with using this harpoon trap is getting is set and then checking the trap often (1-2 times per day). This exercise should be treated as you would fishing, in that you need to check the lines often. When you set the trap, it must be in an active tunnel.

Now, a couple of things about moles. First, there are not as many in your lawn as you think, trust me. They are quite territorial. Second, if you begin this exercise, you will find that they make runs through their tunnels at almost the exact same time every day. Stomp down their tunnels and watch them push back up, you will get their pattern very soon.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 6:43AM
More Discussions
Mostly Weeds
I have a section of lawn newly seeded last fall. Grass...
bobbobnj
Repairing a lawn with 'buried rock syndrome'
The house I bought five years ago is in a neighborhood...
girlfromthegarden
Grubs.........Milky Spore question...
I have watched my lawn go downhill for the past several...
snc299
Time to Fertilize New Lawn?
Hi Lawn Doctor, It's been about four weeks since we...
rumbleseat
How to get rid of Creeping Charlie
Dr. Rogers- I have been fighting to a stand off with...
andyandy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™