Crabgrass coming in/mow height

jamesbodellJuly 3, 2008

Hi, I am trying to go organic. My lawn was planted last year. I put down Organica brand fertilizer this past spring but I must have done something wrong as the crabgrass is really starting to come in strong. I was thinking about letting the lawn "go" (ie, not mow it). Will this be effective at crowding out the crabgrass or will it do more harm then good.

Also, I mow as high as my mower will go (about 4"). The lenght is about 5 days from seed at this height. I mow once a week (for the most part) and 1/2 the grass in the lawn is to seed. Is this OK or am I putting too much stress on the lawn. Should I change my mower height? I really do not have time to mow more often. Lawn appear OK otherwise.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yarddoctor

Dear Wianno

Thank you very much for your inquiry. Once crabgrass has germinated in a lawn, the mowing height is not as effective in crabgrass control (a higher height is good for preventing other weeds from germinating, including crabgrass as plants germinate all summer) of these plants.

I looked up the products you mentioned, and there is corn gluten meal in the product. This does have pre-emergence activity on crabgrass, but in my experience this product is not fully effective if it is the primary preventer of germination (if turf is thin, not well fertilized, lots of weed seed from previous years.) This is the challenging part of Âorganic lawn care  the condition of your lawn before you start the process and your expectations.

A higher mowing height and not scalping your grass are always beneficial.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 5:58AM
jamesbodell

I realize organic takes a few years, so I am being patient. Maybe next year I will use straight Gluten?

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 7:46AM
yarddoctor

Dear Wianno,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. I agree, a high rate of corn gluten would be appropriate.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
How to get rid of Creeping Charlie
Dr. Rogers- I have been fighting to a stand off with...
andyandy
lawn redo
Hi . I have a lawn which looks like mostly weeds. What...
softfurn
Weeping Cherry is losing leaves
I planted a weeping cherry on the edge of my flower...
evansc3
When to apply grub control?
I would like info on when to apply grub-ex or Bayer...
mad_about_mickey
Time to Fertilize New Lawn?
Hi Lawn Doctor, It's been about four weeks since we...
rumbleseat
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™