New sod installed over 40% dead or dying

mentalpazJuly 2, 2008

I had new fescue sod installed, supposedly the soil was prepped over 3" with topsoil etc. I water regularly a couple times a day since I live in a extremely hot and dry area in southern california. The lawn looked great for about a week and a half then it began to turn brown in large sections. The browning is entire pieces of sod dying in rows. What if anything can I do to try and save whats left of my lawn ? and how do I patch the dead areas with-out tearing it all out and starting from scratch ? I'm under the gun with my HOA over the brown grass.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yarddoctor

Dear Paz.

Thank you very much for your inquiry. The first thing I would do is to look under the brown areas. Is it wet or dry? How does it compare to the areas that are still green? Something is obviously different and you need to be a detective and figure it out. If the watering is with an underground system, the coverage of the water would be a likely suspect.

Can you send a picture? We can do this together.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 6:56AM
reedyj_hotmail_com

I am in the exact same boat as Paz... Hot So Cal, Sod looked great, and now it's browning - quickly. I watered like crazy at first - 3 times a day, then 2x a day for next week, then daily for a week, and then every other day - "deep watering" each time. Since it started browning, I cranked the water back up and still getting worse.

Well prepped soil, starter fertilizer and put regular grass fertilizer after a month ( per sod company's instructions.)

Help! I can't afford to redo!

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 12:21AM
ositamom_yahoo_com

similar problem here- not 40% YET! our sod began drying/dying from a very small patch and is spreading... over the past 1 1/2 weeks, doubled in size. all other sod in yard is lush, growing healthy. fertilized/watered per directions. dug dead area for grubs- no sign. purchased 'seven-5' and contemplating this treatment but without signs of grubs, don't want to if unnecessary. have photos- please help

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
Dandelions and Clover
Question about reducing specific weeds in my yard....
katefisher
Zoysia and Weed killer
My sister-in-law told me that if you put fertilizer...
colleenny
Black/Grey Mold or fungus on grass
Hello Trey... This question is from my neighbor, he...
snc299
I have an armadillo
I live in the gulf coast area of Texas. I have a BEAUTIFUL...
dahlia_newbie
Lawn Problem-Brown/dead? Spots
Hi, this is my first post so let me know if there is...
billy3w3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™