grub treatment year after year?

treeskate(6a Hartford CT)July 9, 2008

If you had grubs once (half my front lawn)do you need to continue treatment year after year? I'm nervous about not doing it then in the Fall finding the lawn all destroyed. There has been no further sign of grubs since my lawn service has been treating my lawns for several years after the first incident.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yarddoctor

Dear Treeskate,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. This is a complicated question. The easy answer is treat for the grubs. It is a safe, relatively inexpensive (especially if you do in yourself) way to ensure a grub free lawn.

The complication of this answer is that it depends on the grub that caused the original problem, and how you are treating your lawn currently. If you had a European chafer or Japanese beetle grub issue and nothing changed about your lawn, then chances are it could happen again. Look around the neighborhood for other grub issues. That will tell you if there is greater potential for the beetle to fly into your yard and lay eggs. They do not fly long distances each year.

The key here is that knowing that the grubs (again depending on the species) lay the eggs in the summer in the lawn and they hatch and feed in the fall. No grubs, no worries.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 6:47AM
More Discussions
I have an armadillo
I live in the gulf coast area of Texas. I have a BEAUTIFUL...
dahlia_newbie
lawn redo
Hi . I have a lawn which looks like mostly weeds. What...
softfurn
Virginia Buttonweed
Thanks to the kind and helpful folks in the "Name...
tex_cin
How Do you Kill it?
I have lots of a crawling grass spreads by underground...
jim23
Possible plant disease?
Hi, Leaves on one of my new hedges have a white powder...
Dean Maunder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™