How do I get Burmuda grass out of my Marathon grass lawn?

brownthumb33July 6, 2008

We live in the Los Angeles area and had Marathon grass sod put in about 9 years ago. Last year I noticed Burmuda grass growing in a corner of the back yard. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it? Will it eventually take over the yard? We also have lots of crabgrass growing and I wonder if I use crab grass killer to spray on it, if this will also brown out or kill the marathon grass around it? Thanks!

PS. A neighbor told me that if we a gardner, that the grass and weeds from the other people's yards that they mow, gets 'seeded' into out yard from their mower. Is that right?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yarddoctor

Dear BT33

Thank you very much for your inquiry. I suggest you buy a product called Acclaim extra (fenoxaprop-ethyl). It will take out crabgrass easily, and with repeat applications 2-3 weeks apart will knockout the bermudagrass. You will need to go to a turf specialty/supply store (like Lesco) to get this product, I believe.

Seeds and stems do travel via vehicles and water. There is little to do to prevent it. It has been happening in nature since the beginning.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 6:24AM
Chris_G_Getty_kp_org

I had a marathon lawn sodded about one year ago....crab grass is beginning to take over....can you help me get eliminate this weed without damaging the marathon grass?
Thank you.

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 9:39PM
MLNFLAIR_AOL_COM

I recently planted Marathon seed in my front yard. The grass came in nicely but a lot of weeds with it. How can I kill the weeds without hurting the grass?

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 1:25PM
jonesperez_yahoo_com

theres a product i saw at homedepot that was design to kill Burmuda grass and doesnt kill ur other grass. im not sure of the name but it is a purple bottle and it was like 18.95 and u connect to ur waterhose.

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 2:57PM
jonesperez_yahoo_com

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/lawn-care/products/bermudagrass-control-for-lawns

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 3:15PM
More Discussions
I have an armadillo
I live in the gulf coast area of Texas. I have a BEAUTIFUL...
dahlia_newbie
I want to remove deep roots . . . once and for all!
Hello, I've tried shoveling out some deep roots, but...
figsinhawaii
Black/Grey Mold or fungus on grass
Hello Trey... This question is from my neighbor, he...
snc299
Lawn Problem-Brown/dead? Spots
Hi, this is my first post so let me know if there is...
billy3w3
lawn redo
Hi . I have a lawn which looks like mostly weeds. What...
softfurn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™