Has anyone grown Quinoa in 8b?

sjp8987July 29, 2008

Hello all,

I bought some Quinoa seeds to plant but I've never grown this before. I'm growing it for ornamental reasons so I am wondering when I should plant the seeds, start indoors? how long does it take for them to bloom, etc?

Thanks!

Samantha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

I'm guessing it will. Amaranth is native and has adapted cultivars here in TX.
I'm not sure tho. I didn't even know what Quinoa was until I found out I had Celiac and had to find alternate foods for common grains.
"Quinoa is sometimes referred to as a "pseudocereal" because it is a broadleaf non-legume that is grown for grain unlike most cereal grains which are grassy plants. It is similar in this respect to the pseudocereals buckwheat and amaranth"PJ

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 11:48PM
shebear(z8 NCentralTex)

I'd be interested in learning how it turns out. This is an amazingly complete protein source. Whole Foods makes a great dish with it. It originated in South America and considering tomatoes and potatoes and maize (corn) got adopted by Europe, I find it strange that they didn't adopt the really nutritious food. Complete protein sources that don't have lots of fat are hard to find so I wonder why it's not used more in the US.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 11:28PM
linda_tx8(8)

A friend of mine (San Antonio area) want to grow Quinoa also and has looked at the info about it. It seems that Quinoa is native to the Andes, so it apparently prefers weather that is more moderate than Texas usually has. In other words, hot weather over 90F is a problem for it. And the plant can sustain a bit of damage from freezing temperatures. I'd look for a short-season variety if you can. You could check with Seeds of Change...maybe they have something like that. Or just try what you have and see how it goes. Where it's grown commercially in N. America, it's usually started in spring, but I don't know...those are much cooler climates. Hmmm...maybe early fall?

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 5:48PM
mistiaggie(z9A Tx)

Bumping this up----did anyone have success with their crop?

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Seed Starting / Mini Greenhouses
I have been saving the clear plastic containers that...
Gretchen Wood
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Do you use sprinkler, sprinkler system or soaker hoses?
I used to have a sprinkler system around my foundation...
marti8a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™