Fall and Winter Gardens

sane_psychoJuly 21, 2008

What vegetables can I plant for a winter garden. Last winter i was bored out of my mind and even a little depressed that I couldn't grow anything. Where I am I supposed to buy the seed for winter gardens if everyplace puts everything that has to do with gardening up.

Oh please not another boring winter.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roxy_girl(7b Weatherford TX)

You might try buying your seeds online, I just ordered some fall/winter veggie seeds at Trade Wind Fruits but lots of other seed companies have fall/winter type seeds also...just a thought. I'm planting some f/w squashes, lettuce, spinach, peas, tomatoes, broccoli, and turnips. I have a greenhouse so I can extend my growing season quite a bit, also it keeps me from being so bored all winter.

Dena

Here is a link that might be useful: TWF/Veggies:

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 2:45PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

I use a cold frame. Sounds fancy but it's just pvc pipe(cheap) holding some 6 mil plastic(cheap) off the plants while protecting them from frost
PJ

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 3:54PM
popcornhill

Hey sane...I do not know where you live but try to find a feed store somewhere close. I went today to get some green bean seeds. One place was out already but I found what I needed at the next store. Now these stores are not in the town where I live so I had to drive about 30 miles to get there. Good luck, just don't go "IN" on us.......DT

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 7:21PM
bobbi_p(z8/9 Cypress, TX)

Feed stores and mail order were where I would find most of my fall veggie seeds. You might also call your county Master Gardeners Association and see if they have a fall plant sale that will include good transplants for your area!

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 9:30PM
sane_psycho

Thanks for the replies. I live in Mesquite, and I can go to a feed store called Kearney's (I think) on Beltline and see if they have seeds. Yeah I would love to have a greenhouse, but since I'll be off the college soon, and my parents will be moving it really kills that idea =(. I'll read up on cold frames, but I really wanted stuff that I'll be able to plant in the ground, unless I could build the cold frames over the ground that is...
And popcornhill, the "IN" thing to me a minute but lol.

I was discussing the idea with my parents and my Dad actually suggested online. Thanks for the link roxy.

Thanks people. =)

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 10:55PM
vwtx

Calloways, in Mesquite, still has plenty of seeds. I seem to remember Lowe's having some as well. Wal Mart and Lowe's usually get transplants for winter veggies (broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, etc.) sometime in late August or September.

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 1:31PM
shebear(z8 NCentralTex)

Oh yeah you can plant in the ground inside a coldframe. And you might want to check out Rhodes nursery over there....I've never been there but heard really good things about them.

Bookmark   July 25, 2008 at 9:46PM
hibatt(8)

You can grow a lot of stuff in DFW in the winter. I grow lettuce (just throw the seed out in a small area), cilantro, and spinach. The cilantro grows best in the winter here, it goes to seed very early in the spring.

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 4:08PM
angelady777 (was angelady on GW) - Zone 6(6)

I just found a TON of seeds for a great price about 5 blocks from my house. See the link below for my other post about it. Boy, was I excited!

~Angela

Here is a link that might be useful: I practically stole from Wal-Greens!

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
Seed Starting / Mini Greenhouses
I have been saving the clear plastic containers that...
Gretchen Wood
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
Everybody Ready for the Deep Freeze?
I *almost* am. watered the potted plants & put...
sylviatexas2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™