If you have frogfruit in your landscape

marti8aAugust 4, 2014

how do you keep it from invading other areas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seamommy(7bTX)

I'm not really sure what that is, but in our grassy areas, if it isn't grass I just pull it up. I should say, areas around the house, since we have 3 acres, and I don't care about weeds out there. But I like to have cool grass up near the house, and being in a rural area we always have an infestation of various weeds in spring. You could spread corn gluten meal if they spread by seed, it's a germination retardant. if it spreads by rhizomes you'd have to dig it.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 10:05PM
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

Heavy shade, concrete barrier, and rabbits. We've been trying to get some established in a shaded bed for three years. We get a burst of growth, little rabbits trim it to nubs, then it sulks for another year.... the concrete barrier on the property line will never be a factor as long as the bunnies can find a way into the side yard. Seriously, this stuff does not like to be trimmed; so maybe a well timed haircut would enable you enjoy the flowers while helping keep it in check.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 11:43PM
marti8a

I've had it at the back of our acre for several years and thought today that I would like to replace the Asian jasmine with it, IF I can keep it from being an invasive nuisance. I also mow it back there and it hasn't seemed to mind.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 12:02AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I just let it grow and pull it out where I do not want it. I am not worried about invasion. It seems to want to grow in my caliche road. I guess the cars will squish it.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 12:16AM
dcarpenter(z7 DFW/TX)

How funny. I've been babying mine that I got at the San Antonio Plant Swap last year. It's just now starting to take off and bloom!

Bookmark   September 23, 2014 at 12:21PM
lucas_tx_gw

I just chop it off and pull it out and stick it somewhere else. Don't find it hard to manage that way, not like the devil grass bermuda :-)

Bookmark   September 23, 2014 at 9:58PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

My frogfruit seems to start in the part shade/sunny edge of the tree line area and then it strays out into the full sun of our caliche road. It has been a not hugely dry summer till August. I think it was thinking of "contracting" from our very dry august till this rain broke the dry spell. My caliche road does drain my land and where it is flat, it gets water standing in the form of wet creamy caliche mud. Then it hardens

Bookmark   September 23, 2014 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
Lady Banks on roof
Lady Banks, Old Blush, and Mermaid (not yet blooming)...
catheyz8rr
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
Everybody Ready for the Deep Freeze?
I *almost* am. watered the potted plants & put...
sylviatexas2
Need suggestions for a privacy hedge along my fence line
My backyard is about 3/4 of an acre and our HOA requires...
5995richmond
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™