Where to find info on maxiimum temp tolerated by various plants

jimigunne(9A)August 11, 2012

I am gardening near Lake Mathis in South Texas. Every day with clear sky in August runs well over 100 deg F, yesterday was 111F in the shade just outside the kitchen door! Seeds are not germinating at all under a big carport awning...but I need to get seeds started for fall vegetables. (the carport awning area stays a bit cooler, around 4 deg. or so so---- it probably hit 107 yesterday) Even though mulched heavily now, most of my (all young) fruit trees are dying (low-chill peach and plum and a Satsuma). Only a Quince and two apple varieties are still growing. All the bamboo seedlings in pots under the carport have died.

Although it is easy to find the lowest temp a plant or tree can take in winter, it is not very often that an internet article tells you what the max temp is that it can take. The growing zone designations are too general, especially when you live in a place with such high summer temps! So I was wondering if there is some database of plants/trees that gives MAX temp tolerated? Then I would know what plants are a waste of time and money here.

Also I have heard that although canteloupe like full sun, in very hot climate/summers, they benefit from partial shade. So I am wondering if the problem with the fruit trees could be that they need some partial shade (problematic to provide....there are no full-grown trees anywhere around to provide any shade) Thanks to all.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lynn Marie

I'm sure everyone on this forum will appreciate your predicament! In zone 9, it is probably even more difficult. Since I'm in zone 8, I usually look for items that are said to grow at least one zone higher. Not fool proof, but it helps. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone else knows...

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 4:09PM
ExoticRGVNativesTy(10a TX)

Sunset Magazine has divided North America into climate zones that are unique to particular areas. They take into account annual precipitation as well as summer and winter temperatures. Your zone is either 28 or 29. Sunset's website has plant recommendation for each zone.

Ty

Here is a link that might be useful: Climate zones in Texas

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 4:11PM
    Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!
I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on...
remuda1
Can you ID this bird?
These pictures are from Carrie. Can you ID this bird? Thank...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Pears for North Texas
I would like to plant a Pear tree that has sweet crisp...
ruthz
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™