Mexican Marigold/Copper Canyon Daisy

Carol PattersonAugust 5, 2010

I bought 2 of these & they grew great, but haven't had but a couple of blooms. I understand they bloom best in short days in the fall. But one is looking very bad. The leaves are fading to pale green & some parts are dying. Is this common, or will they spring back in the fall?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

I don't know about the daisy, but Tagetes lucida Mexican Mint Marigold is a fall bloomer that thrives in the hot, humid South. It is also known as Texas tarragon because French tarragon is difficult to grow in the South, and Mexican Mint Marigold is a culinary substitute. If you have the plant established it can take the heat and humidity, but if you don't have it established then you might need to give it some extra water to get it going again. And if you mulch it with 2" to 3" of mulch, it should overwinter just fine and come back in the spring time after it warms up.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 1:30PM
knittlin(8b)

How often are you watering them, and with what and for how long? What are you feeding it? How much sun are both getting? Not enough water, not enough food and not enough sun could cause what you're describing.

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 10:31AM
sfmathews(7B/8A)

Both of these only bloom in the fall for me.

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 1:40PM
campeador

I planted marigolds from seed this spring. They were very leggy and taller than the version I came to enjoy in my time in Mexico. They first bloomed mid-June and did well until mid-July when we went on a 2.5 week vacation. When we got back they looked terrible. I believe they're getting too much sun and had been getting too little H2O. I've increased the water and dead-headed them. The stems look better now (green again, as opposed to the gray/withered color they'd taken on) and I have some new blooms. I am hoping they flourish again in the fall. In Mexico they are mostly prominent in the fall, around Day of the dead time (late Oct. early Nov).

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Isn't milkweed a perennial?
I started several plants last summer from seed and...
random_harvest
Gomphrena globosa 'Fireworks' not an annual
Who else grows 'Fireworks' globe amaranth? It's listed...
briaustex 8b
'Terri's Pink', Hibiscus mutabulis 'Rubra'
Anyone know where to purchase this plant? 'Terri's...
ruthz
Anyone Recognize This Cutie Beauty?
found it today, can't remember where it came from!
sylviatexas2
Sponsored Products
Accent Rug: Ferrara Parchment 2' 6" x 4'
$82.97 | Home Depot
Dimond Sovereign Antique Mercury Glass Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Copperwing Vase
| Dot & Bo
Hammered Copper Whitehaus WHCOLV1455 Copper Copperhaus Bath Sink Basin
$289.00 | Blue Bath
Solaxx EKO KLOR Solar Ionizer for Swimming Pools - NC3246
$173.99 | Hayneedle