Pomegranates in Amarillo

rcnaylor(z7 Tex)August 21, 2012

I'm pretty sure there aren't many if any around here. Chalk it up to global warming, some pretty hardy "Russian Pomegranates", or whatever, but, I'm pretty confident these are the only in ground pomegranates that have been grown in Amarillo. Pomegranates 8-19-2012

Of course, there is still an open question of whether our growing season will let them ripen here. Most years (which the last two years haven't been) we start cooling down, especially our nights, around Sept 1. Our first freeze date is usually Oct 31. Whether we will get enough heat units to ripen them, we will find out soon enough.

Most years these pomegranates have frozen, but only to the ground. The last 2 years they haven't. Last year a late freeze got the fruit. This is the first one in the 10 years I've had them where they look like they might make here. We'll see!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

That's impressive! I hope they ripen for you.

The pomegranate can be iffy most years here on the north side of San Antonio which is significantly south of Amarillo.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 10:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcnaylor(z7 Tex)

Yeah, poms aren't really "news" in zones south of here, but, up here, I think they are a rarity.

Getting ripe ones may be trickier still!

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
Do you have plant markers?
Since words and names don't come as easily to my mind...
marti8a
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Everybody Ready for the Deep Freeze?
I *almost* am. watered the potted plants & put...
sylviatexas2
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™