Flower to harvest

goodground(z6 NJ)July 10, 2011

Since my tomatoes are so late this year, should i just remove all future flowers since i won't have time to ripen them? The plants are still very small with flowers and tiny tomatoes. They are just about to take off now so i'm hoping to at least ripen the ones that have started. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homeend

leave them be you will have plenty time to get more harvest then the small number of already set fruit you have now.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 11:27PM
spiced_ham(z5 OH)

For large beefsteak varieties I pinch off any bud trusses that form starting six weeks before my expected frost date. Flowers that are open at that time can ripen fruit and unopened buds on those trusses will ripen if we have an extended season plus provide large green fruit that will ripen indoors after frost.

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 7:56AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Since I am right now planting new tomato plants for the fall garden I sure wouldn't recommend pinching off blooms on already producing plants. You still have plenty of time for production and ripening and any greens left on the vine when the first frost is predicted can be ripened indoors in several different ways.

Dave

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
Big Beef Vs. Better Boy
Recently I was searching a tomato variety. Accidently...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
Better Boy vs Brandy Boy
The fruit test - - - we planted equal quantity of both...
hudson___wy
Has Anybody Grown This Tomato ?
I was in HD looking for Big Beef seeds. But they did...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™