Tomato leaves turning brown and crumbly

jbclem(z9b Topanga, Ca)July 12, 2014

Every year some of my tomato plants end up with a lot of leaves that are brown and crumbly. This is just starting to happen now, most of the plant still looks healthy (the photo shows a Heinz Super Roma plant).

Can anyone identify this problem...I'd like to know if it's enough to just pick off the branches/leaves that are going bad, or if more drastic measures are required.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

The rest of your plant looks health. It is possible that that branch was injured (environmentally) or by an insect and subsequently died.

I would prune all such yellowed leaf branches at the first sign. They serve no purpose but possibly a harbor for disease . Just to be on the safe side, I would spray it with fungicide.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 3:26AM
dodge59

I get the same thing on mine, here in S Calif.

I've been picking off the brown yellow leaves and I did spray with a copper spray.

In my case, I had no damaged branches, but upon "Close Inspection" it "seems" like it may be my cages that are causing the problem~~~~I first see the infected leaves that are touching some of the cages I used last year. I wonder if some kind of , kind of~~~~hmmmm , whatever clung on to the cages over our winter, and that's what's buggin my maters, (so to speak), alto it is not "Buggs") per say.

Next year I gonna use something to sterilize those cages as I don't see any of the brown yellow leaves where there are new cages.

I just thought that the cages sitting empty in the Sun would be enough to kill whatever was clinging to them, but "Apparently not".

Anyway, "so far so good" We are having the best tomato year ever, lots of nice big Tasty ones!!!

Gary

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 6:58PM
jbclem(z9b Topanga, Ca)

Here's another photo from an Early Girl plant. It's hard to see, but the two fruits just below have brown splotches covering their skin, and some brown raised patterns on one of them.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:35PM
jbclem(z9b Topanga, Ca)

Here's a closer look at the brown splotches on the Early Girl fruit.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:36PM
More Discussions
Jersey Boy - 2015
I volunteered to post a review for "Jersey Boy"...
hudson___wy
Tomato cage
how to build a 24"L,by 24"W,by 48"H,screened...
walterwallen
Repotting tomato seedlings - use regular potting mix or orchid mix?
Hi All - I am going to repot some tomato seedlings...
jennieboyer
Plant Out Plans For--2015 Season
Who is getting ready for the big event : i.e, PLANT...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
T-5 Grow light question on seedlings that just germinated
I should no this by now, but seedlings with out true...
thebutcher
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™