Shipping Tomatoes?

lovetogarden2008July 8, 2009

I live on the left coast and my mother lives on the east coast. Her toms are doing very badly due to the weather and mine are robust robust robust! None ripe yet, but tons of fruit.

She is going to be 89 next month and I was thinking of making a bday package of some of my best toms and shipping them to her overnight.

Does that seem reasonable? How would I pack them?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenniedhs

It is totally reasonable. Last year I shipped my very best friend in Missouri, who loves home grown tomatoes, fresh tomatoes once a month. She used to have a garden but was no longer able to. I picked them at first blush, when the very first color started to appear, but still lots of green. I wrapped them in newspaper and cushioned them on the bottom and top and in between with crunched up newspaper. Sent them with USPS, and it wasn't terribly expensive. I think around $8. But I didn't choose priority mail or second day delivery. The tomatoes needed time to ripen fully so it didn't matter the time frame. Send your Mom some tomatoes! Just tell her to sit them on her counter to fully ripen when they get there.

Jennie

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 9:48PM
star_stuff(Greensboro NC 7a)

Thats a great idea! I would wrap them individually, and pack them all in a sturdy cardboard box surrounded with lots of soft stuffing/newspaper so nothing moves around. USPS Priority Mail takes 2-3 business days from west coast to east coast. You can do all of your shipping from home if you weigh your package to the lb. And Priority is slightly cheaper when printed online versus Post Office.

https://sss-web.usps.com/cns/landing.do

And then you can schedule a free Carrier Pick Up for the next day:

https://carrierpickup.usps.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CarrierPickup.woa

I sound like a USPS advertisement LOL!

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 10:32PM
star_stuff(Greensboro NC 7a)

If your package is heavy, 3 lbs or more, your best bet from west to east coast is a USPS Priority Flat Rate box (2-3 day transit). Its $10 regardless of weight or destination. And all Priority boxes are free. Hope this helps. (I ship things every day ~I have one that I should be packing right now hehe!) :-)

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 10:47PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

If possible, ship early in the week so that a one-day delay won't mean that arrival changes from the expected Friday to Monday. That's what many vendors who ship plants do.

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 10:59PM
sue_ct(z6 CT)

Great idea! My birthday is in August and if I don't have tomatoes by then, gifts will be gratefully accepted. I will even cheerfully register as a charity so the fair market value of any extra tomatoes will be tax deductible if anyone is uncomfortable with the gift giving thing. :)

Sue

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 12:05AM
lovetogarden2008

Thanks for all of your input. Won't she be surprised! Her bday is 8/20, so there's plenty of time for my toms to get ready.

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 12:17PM
johnnytomatoseed

I shipped tomatoes from Illinois to Florida. I picked them at first blush, wrapped them individually in newspaper and sent them by UPS. The ones on all four corners had a little damage but not enough that they could not be used. The rest of the box, a double computer paper box, was fine.

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 11:52PM
yardenman(z7 MD)

I have a friend who has had to give up growing tomatoes because of back problems. I intend to ship him a few Brandywines and Cherokee Purples once a month. Wrapped up in newspaper and surrounded by styrofoam peanuts, they should do just fine.

Bookmark   July 12, 2009 at 12:14AM
sue_ct(z6 CT)

Boy, if I was having a better year, I would suggest mailing some trades with other forum members. That would be fun, esp. trying varieties that you have been wanting to try or that don't do well in your area but do great much better for others.

Sue

Bookmark   July 13, 2009 at 12:59AM
crystalstephens

Hi Sue,

That is a great idea! I am in New Jersey and am growing Plum and Beefsteak tomatoes if anyone is interested.

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 7:32PM
lovetogarden2008

I shipped off a package today. I wrapped the toms in bubble wrap and padded the top and bottom with newspaper. I did some green and some with a little blush and some with medium ripe.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all is well.

It's going to be her 89th bday. Yikes!

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 7:45PM
lovetogarden2008

I'm glad to say that the tomatoes all arrived without getting bruised. Good eats!

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 2:01PM
holly-2006

Yay!

Can I be next?! lol

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 5:08PM
lovetogarden2008

You betcha! :D

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 8:19PM
sueinglet_yahoo_com

I would love to buy some Jersey Tomatoes if anyone would be willing to ship them to Utah.
sueinglet@yahoo.com

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 12:25AM
dancinglemons(7B VA)

You guys are GREAT!! Just yesterday I was trying to think of a way to send some fresh veggies from my garden to my grandsons. You have given me the info I needed. Monday I will ship some tomatoes and carrots - with the tops! They are going to love this. You see I will be sending them yellow tomatoes and yellow carrots :-))

DL

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 1:32AM
RazzleberryRose

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for posting about how to ship tomatoes. You chat came up right away when I googled my question and I have just discovered and joined Garden Web.

So I sent three heirloom tomatoes to San Diego today from Sacramento. The sad news is that today is Sunday and mail pick-up will not happen until tomorrow 3pm. That said, things move pretty quickly around California and I am hoping they will arrive by Tues or Weds.

I will post an update.

I packed in newspaper as suggested in a very sturdy box. Did not use the styrofoam peanuts although I had those but was wondering if they had toxins that might impact my tomatoes or the moisture content of the package? Oh, I did include a lot of fresh oregano from the garden.

Razzleberry

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 3:56PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I think more important than wrapping , (or as important) is using a sturdy box, that will resist collapsing. Also make sure they don't rattle in the box.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
How Is The Weather ..1- 2015
Spring has arrived early here. The temperatures are...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Pinetree Garden Seed Company for Cuostralee
Is Pinetree Garden Seed a reliable source for tomato...
matthias_lang
Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato
Yeah - we have blossoms on our cherry tomatoes in Zone...
hudson___wy
Rabbit Manure for Tomatoes
Hi- There's a guy locally that is selling rabbit manure...
DrMario
Your 2015 Choices - Fianl Answer !
Have You made up your mind yet, to answer this million...
seysonn
Sponsored Products
Mini Ellipse Chrome Two-Light Bath Fixture with Royal Cut Rosaline Pink Crystal
$300.00 | Bellacor
Modern Flat TV Composition 7D
Italy Design
Eastman King Headboard
$999.00 | Horchow
Mini Ellipse Chrome Three-Light Mini Pendant with Royal Cut Jet Black Crystal an
$450.00 | Bellacor
ELK Lighting Crystal Flushmounts 31253/3 Flushmount - Polished Chrome - 16W in.
$338.00 | Hayneedle
Elk Lighting Sorrento Serving Tray - Set of 3 Multicolor - 6043642
$82.00 | Hayneedle
Marietta King Bed - IVORY
$2,699.00 | Horchow
Handmade Cherry Tomato New Zealand Blend Wool Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™