Fall vegetable garden

LaneaAugust 3, 2011

So I'm new to gardening and to Texas. I am wanting to do a fall garden but with this heat I'm not sure what grows. Any info would be much appreciated. I know I should be planting now if I want a fall garden but is anything going to survive this heat?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

Hi and welcome, we're getting lots of new folks this week which is nice.

I've attached an overview from the Extension Service. It's pretty simple, but will give you an idea. You can search the site for other info. There are many tomato varieties developed just for Texas spring or fall planting. The smaller and faster maturing the better for this type of gardening. My cherry tomato plant from the spring is still green and growing but not producing right now so they can survive the heat.

If you have a specific question in the future, it's easier for us to answer questions if we know what part of the state you are in.

There are so many things you can plant now. The beets and dill I planted from seed a few weeks ago are already up and going well even in this heat. I will plant lettuce seeds in September to grow all winter. Lettuce survives even the coldest days in my garden. Basil is very happy in this heat too.

Watering is the key to keeping the garden going in the heat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Garden in Texas

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 12:37PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I live in Travis county and this is the planting schedule that I use. I got it by googling "Travis county planting schedule, agrilife". I have printed three of four of these up and laminated them. I have them in the car, plant shed, desk and on my seed box. I know I am a tad obsessive. Good luck. The winter garden is my favorite garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting schedule.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 2:08PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

My watering restrictions due to that I need to truck water in will have me not planting this year till we get some dependable rain. Predictions are bad so I think I am not going to fight it and do some work building soil and working on a drip system. My soil is so dry that I can water till kingdom come and all I have is NADA. I am moving some things to pots because they it takes less to water to keep them going..

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 1:15AM
More Discussions
How to plant Pride of Barbados seed pod?
Hi, For the first time I have a seed pod from my Pride...
monicatx
Sedum suggestions or thoughts?
Please bear with a newbie dumb question. I bought Rainbow...
tejas_ruthie
Need Texas wisteria in Austin
Good morning! Does anyone know where I can find Texas...
atxhoolie
Coral honeysuckle
Will this be easier to find in the next month or so,...
franksmom_2010
'Miss Kim' - A Lilac for South Texas
Lilac "Miss Kim" is a dependable bloomer...
Eric
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™