David slew Goliath - Unusual weapons

soxxxxAugust 11, 2011

One or more armadillos has made my lawn look like a sieve -hundreds of holes and dead tufts of grass.

This AM about five when DS was going to work he saw one at my back gate. He had no weapon. He got a metal hook from a big chain out of his truck and threw at him.

It hit him in the head and addled him. Then DS saw a house jack that I had borrowed near the gate and finished him off with that.

My job was to dispose of the deceased after daybreak.

I carried it to the back side of the pasture. It weighed 30 - 40 pounds. I have been thinking "what if it is not really dead?" I am going to take another look.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaskelley(9a)

At least DS had some pretty hefty weapons at hand! That could have turned into quite the chase!

See, around my house the first thought would have been: how can we trap it and then make a cement enclosure to keep it as a pet?

Oh, the trials of having a biologist for a husband! (don't ask what's currently living in the bathroom...)

~AOK

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 11:52AM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Soxx, I am on my way out now to get sulphur for my beds. The blasted armadillos last night dug up my Louisiana phlox that I have had for over twenty five years.........now it is WAR..... I am really livid with them right now. I took as many of the roots as I could find and put them in containers for safe keeping......just hope they survive.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 12:29PM
soxxxx

carrie

Last week I put out a whole bag of sulphur around the lawn and in the flower beds. It did not seem to bother him(them).

Every AM I go out to survey the damage and to cover up the big fresh holes where they must take a rest. Today I discovered that they had demolished a bed of obedient plants that were just getting ready to bloom. I tried to stand some of them back up, but they are really shallow rooted.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 1:27PM
marti8a

I think I have the litle devils too. So far no plants dug up, just lots of holes.

Soxxx, I'm so impressed with your son's aim! Way to go!

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 3:15PM
soxxxx

marti8a
DS phoned me (woke me up). He was so excited that he actually hit him in the head. They really have a little head in relation to the body. And he did the deed by the pickup headlights.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 4:37PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

And I thought I had it bad with deer to contend with. I don't know what I'd do if I had armadillis or maybe even worse -- wild hogs!

The last two nights the deer got inside the electric fence in front that has kept them out if that area for years. I even put peanut butter on the wire thinking they would be surely be tempted to lick it and get scared off again, but it wasn't touched. The squirrels have learned to leave it alone too. So I put a round of deer fencing around the new purple crape myrtle that was blooming so pretty, and laid pieces of the fencing over the roses which are pretty burned up anyway.

Soxxxx, I just hope that armadillo didn't have any friends.

Carrie, I hope you find something that works to keep them out of your place.

I know these times are hard on the wildlife, but eating up our plants wouldn't keep them going for long anyway.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 5:29PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

The sulphur has worked for me before, but what I have now doesn't have much strength. Since our local feed store is closed, guess I will need to find a new one as none of the local nurseries carry it. I did not get any today, so I suppose I will have another night of digging....monsters !!!!

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 5:32PM
Lin barkingdogwoods

I'm with you, Roselee - I don't know anything that will ward off an armadillo. One of my Greyhounds caught one a week or so ago, so I'm tempted to set my alarm for 2ish and take her out to patrol the area again.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 5:34PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Dang! Do they go through chain link fences? 2 AM hunting doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but I'd be tempted to do it. The dogs would be thrilled for sure ... *_*

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 6:19PM
More Discussions
Thoughts on my grow list....
These guys are getting potted up the first time on...
reedbaizetex
Golden groundsel - evergreen groundcover for rabbit infested shade
The past few seasons we've been trying to find a ground...
bostedo
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
I know its too wet to rototill but, what if.............
I live in North Texas and I am in the process of creating...
Steve Wiley
My 1st Iris - From the Swap - ID Please
I'm not sure who gave me this from the swap, but thank...
pinkkpearls
Sponsored Products
Circolo Six-Light Chandelier
$613.80 | Bellacor
Taza Mirror
Grandin Road
iPhone Hand Dock - Harry Allen
$65.00 | HORNE
Furniture of America Unique Red Cocoa Wood Bookcase/ Display Cabinet
Overstock.com
Zephyr 36W in. Duo Wall Mounted Range Hood - ADU-M90ASX
Hayneedle