termites in raised bed garden?

jpc3August 29, 2010

I was adding compost and turning the soil on my two raised bed gardens this morning and noticed what looked like tiny termites or albino ants in the soil of one of them.

should I be worried about this or is it normal?

The strange thing is they are present in only one bed and did not seem to harm any of my vegetables.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marti8a

Termites are everywhere. Part of mother nature's little workforce turning dead wood into compost. There was probably some wood mulch in your compost that they are feeding on.

I probably wouldn't put that compost up against a wood house, fence, or firewood though.

Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 1:57PM
jpc3

Thanks for the info - I went back out and noticed that all the little bugs seemed to be being attacked by ants - guess I will turn the soil several times over the next few weeks and see what happens :)

Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 3:48PM
marti8a

There was a PBS show on termites in some country in Africa. They were in someone's home and eating the walls and roof. There was an older man who knew of a kind of ant who could get rid of the termites. They looked like fire ants only bigger and he said they were dangerous because they could go inside a person or animal and start eating it from the inside (that would be gross) but he knew how to talk to them. So he and a couple of boys went out to find these ants and they dumped a bag full into the termite caverns in the house. The ants really went after the termites even though the termites were bigger. It was both gross and interesting.

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 3:15PM
More Discussions
Pears for North Texas
I would like to plant a Pear tree that has sweet crisp...
ruthz
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Everybody Ready for the Deep Freeze?
I *almost* am. watered the potted plants & put...
sylviatexas2
Do you use sprinkler, sprinkler system or soaker hoses?
I used to have a sprinkler system around my foundation...
marti8a
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™