Potted Firebush

doctorlynnAugust 4, 2012

I just bought a Firebush in hopes of attracting hummingbirds. I do not want to put it in the ground but want it on the patio. Although I know they are heat tolerate, I am worried about the heat on the roots in a planter (as well as the cold in winter). Is there anything special/different I need to do to keep a"potted" Firebush thriving? I am not an experienced gardener so please talk to me like I am in kindergarten! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beachplant(9b)

Since mine is about 12' tall and grows faster than I can chop it back I am not sure how they do in a pot.
I suggest no black pots, the sun just bakes them here in the south, a BIG pot and water fairly frequently-if it looks droopy water it, if the soil feels dry when you stick your finger in it then water it.
Good luck!
Tally HO!

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 8:52PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

That's good advice from Tally. I saw some blooming beautifully in a pot at a plant nursery, so I know they will bloom in a pot. Firebush likes LOTS of sun.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 10:42PM
Lynn Marie

I have had one in a pot for years. I didn't like where DH planted it, so I dug it up and stuck it in a black garden center pot. Granted, it isn't very big, but it lives. (The pot is where the bottom is shaded by other pots, so I'm not discounting the advice above to not use black pots.)

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 10:19AM
cynthianovak

I have 2 in pots. One is in part sun and a brown pottery pot. It gets more fertilizer and it is bigger than the one in part sun in a beige plastic pot. Both are blooming and I love them. Also have 2 in ground, but don't get as much sun and are much smaller. Never noticed any heat problems. They seem to like it. Even when one was in a beige pot on concrete all summer long.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 9:16AM
wally_1936(8b)

Mine grows in partial shade and always has. It dies back with any freeze but will reach over 6-8 feet by the middle of July but do start late after many other plants have been sprouting up. The only starts I have been able to get were from plants coming up from the roots. Tried cuttings but nothing worked. I never do anything for this plant it does just great all by its self no matter how bad our weather is including the drought we had last year.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
Lady Banks on roof
Lady Banks, Old Blush, and Mermaid (not yet blooming)...
catheyz8rr
Do you have plant markers?
Since words and names don't come as easily to my mind...
marti8a
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™