Mexico Midget Exerted Stigmas?

nordfyr315(5)July 11, 2011

My MMs died in infancy this year but I noticed that the F1 cross with German Queen has noticeably exerted stigmas. Is this a MM trait and also is MM a pimpinellifolium?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

You'll find different opinions about MM and whether it's a currant or not, please see the link below.

The origin of the seed for MM was Craig LeHoullier and he says it's pea sized, but that alone doesn't make it a pimpinellifolium.

In the SSE YEarbooks it's in the regular sections, not the other species section. But then not everyone can tell the difference re foliage, etc., so that's that.

I've linked to a general Google search below and you'll read all sorts of opinions.

I've not grown it so I can't say anything about it.

Perhaps it's like Matt's Wild, which is a cerasiforme, a half domesticated cherry tomato with a retracted stigma. Perhaps it's a stable interspecies cross as is Sara's Galapagos.

It used to be said that the currants had an exherted stigma thus the pollination by insects, but it's now known that only about half of them do, so looking at that trait doesn't say one way or another what it might be.

I don't know how helpful this is, but whatever.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexico Midget

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 8:33AM
More Discussions
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Newbie at grafting tomatoes
I'm completely new to the procedure (also new to Tomatoes...
perlite
Big Boo-Boo! On Red Robins
I started some Red Robins a while back, or I thought...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™