I think I did something bad!

bholder78(6b)July 8, 2014

I fertilized my plants that are in my 5 gallon buckets. A couple days later the leaves all started curling. I'm afraid I have over fertilized. They are not turning brown or drying out...yet. Is there a chance they are just stressed and will come out of it? I hope so! I started watering daily hoping to dilute the fertilizer. I'm so disappointed in myself and learned a good lesson.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Doubt that's from fertilizer. What did you use?

What kind of mix did you fill the container with? If you made your own, please list ingredients.

Also, please post a picture of the entire plant.

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 10:12PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree that doesn't look like fertilizer burn in the photo. Not unless the edges are dark brown and it just doesn't show in the pic. But need more details.

For example, any herbicides/weed killers used nearby at all?

Dave

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 10:25PM
bholder78(6b)

I'll get more pictures in the morning. Not chance of weed killer that I know of. My garden is close to the buckets and there are no issues with those plants. They are in my yard and I don't use herbicides and the no one lives next door. The fertilizer I used is miracle grow for tomatoes18-18-21. I have no clue what else could be causing it. I have 6 different bucket and the all did the same thing on the same day. The weather at night has dropped about 15 degrees and 10-15 during the day. From what I read it looks like some type of stress. I haven't overly watered of anything I have slowed down some watering in the buckets.

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 10:44PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Leaves curling like that can be due to various causes.

1- Soggy soil : this is not the sams as overwatering. If your medis is well drained you can water as much as you want. The only drawback will be washing down then nutrients. In this case a pale/yellowish foliage will be an indicator. Sogg soil keeps the air/oxygen out of reach of the root system, causing stressful conditions.

2- Certain varieties are prone to lave curling. I know two examples: Black Krim and Indigo Rose. There can be others.

3- Pests: Some pests also can cause leaf curling.

Herbicide seems to be an easy target, to me. But it is not the sole cause.

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 11:55PM
More Discussions
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
1st time growing tomato seeds in plugs
Hello, this is my first time growing tomato seeds in...
Thomas Eyr
Georges chocolate tomato?
Anyone heard of Georges chocolate tomato?
skyblue52
Should I grow white tomatoes?
I have Great White seeds and already sprouted some....
shijitake
Tell me your ultimate tomatoes
Highest yield: Best flavor: Easiest/most disease resistant: Best...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™