what would Adam Smith think?

pnbrownSeptember 6, 2012

It costs my bank more to mail me the monthly statement on $500 I have in a savings account than it costs them to have my 500 bucks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jodik_gw

I get dual bills mailed to me from our doctor's office every month... one with my name on it, and one with my husband's. When I asked them if they could stop, because we know what we owe and pay on a plan anyway, and it was kind of a waste... the office girl told me she realizes it's wasteful, but they can't stop it because it's an automated process. I think it's a complete waste of resources.

But somebody somewhere is making money from that automation and waste of resources, so... it won't stop.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 3:31PM
kwoods(Cold z7 Long Is)

I say "good morning" every day to the secretary of a printer I use in the same building. She mails me my bills. When I catch Eric, the postman, talking to her in the front office I go out and oftentimes he hands me my bill.... from her.... while chatting with her. Very efficient..... sometimes I even open the bill and give her back the inner envelopes so she can reuse them.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 3:42PM
ninamarie(4Ont.)

Good. That's the first time I've ever heard of a bank losing.
Here, unless you have the right account, that $500 would be whittled away by service charges.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 4:02PM
jodik_gw

That's very true, Nina... most banks do charge a service fee. Some insurance companies also charge a service fee for paperwork if you pay monthly, as opposed to every 6 months or annually.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 4:08PM
duluthinbloomz4

Every quarter since 2002, I've been getting a brokerage statement in my deceased father's name in the amount of like 44 cents - and the darned thing occasionally varies by a penny or two. It was "something caught" in the tranfer of assets from one trust to another.

A couple of phone calls resulted in nada - more costly to close it out than sending the statements. So somewhere in the world I know I've got, maybe, the current price of a first class postage stamp floating around.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
Curiouser and Curiouser
Iran Case Is So Secret It Can't Go On Some things are...
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
N.H. fourth-graders’ hawk bill veers into abortion debate
From the Granite State. More proof that these Legislators...
enmc
Spies & Tools
The Wall Street Journal says that US elected officials...
labrea_gw
Watched a movie the other day.
Made me think and then base my quotes for the next...
don_socal
Teddy Cruz for Prez!
Looks like his hat is in the ring, hopefully it's the...
vgkg
Sponsored Products
Mondrain Mirror, 22x80
Design Within Reach
Ashlar Ceiling Fan by Quorum International
$328.00 | Lumens
Florence Style Loft Leather Armchair in Tan
$519.00 | LexMod
Spheres Teapot/Infuser - Large - Nick Munro
$155.00 | HORNE
Newport Set of Two Outdoor Chaise Outdoor Lounge Chairs, Patio Furniture
$799.00 | FRONTGATE
Safavieh Hand-woven Weaves Natural-colored Fine Sisal Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™