small yellow bird

ruthzAugust 23, 2012

I saw a small yellow bird this morning in the Rose of Sharon bush. It only stayed a minute and I wasn't too close. We don't normally see yellow ones. My daughter saw one once last year.

Do we have Prothonotary warblers in the DFW area, or any ideas what kind it might be?

I went inside for the camera, but didn't see it again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cynthianovak

anny chance it was a goldfinch in his summer coat?
?

Here is a link that might be useful: goldfinch in summer feathers

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 2:42PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

I have never had goldfinch at this time of year, Ruth, but look at the Lesser finch.............my daughter has them in Austin all summer long, and I have had them here in the summer. Tried to find my photos to send you to see if it could be the correct one, but my albums are not too tidy, and I ran out of time looking.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 4:37PM
beachplant(9b)

could the fall migration be starting already? It`s also possible that the drought has driven some birds from their normal areas. Hope you see him again.
Tally HO!

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 4:40PM
ruthz

Could be the Lesser Finch. I wasn't very close, but I didn't see any black on head or wings. It was around 11am and I was watering one of the raised beds. There's really tall crape myrtles and other small trees on the west side of the fence and there seemed to be a ton of various types of bird activity going on in that area for a short period of time.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 4:55PM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

My husband saw a yellow bird this weekend, he called it a cedar waxwing. I did not see it, He also saw a whooping crane, I did get to see it. He sits outside all day long inside the garage door, while I sit in the air conditioning. Barbra

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 11:12PM
cynthianovak

Tally
I'll bet you are right about the migration. Perhaps all the drought sent them down early. I've seen more different birds recently, have not seen a goldfinch but know that I am seeing tufted titmouse, wrens,and some finches that pop in and away pretty fast...as if they aren't accustomed to my well stocked feeders aka fast food for my friends. I'll keep an eye open for yellow.
c

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 11:28PM
More Discussions
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™