hello, second harvest??

daninthedirt(Cent TX; HZ10, Sunset z30, USDA z8a)July 21, 2011

I've been growing cherry tomatoes for a decade. ALWAYS prolific and delicious. But this year, after a record harvest, just petering out now in mid July, my Sweet 100 vines/bushes (which are about eight feet tall now) are greening up with big new sprouts, which are loaded with new flowers. Huh? This is the first time I've seen that. Now, the temps are also 100F, but I've got the plants well mulched, and they get plenty of water.

Am I really looking at a second harvest in September?? How did I manage to do that? Last year or two I may have done Red Cherry. Is this a species characteristic of Sweet 100, or just dumb luck?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dogwind(Z8a TX)

I planted sweet 100 last year. They produced more into the summer than any other variety, but eventually stopped producing mid summer, and I yanked-em out. Maybe you're on to something there...

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 5:44PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Uhhh, Sweet 100 is an indeterminate variety so yes, like all indeterminate varieties it will continue to grow and produce fruit - weather permitting - all season long unless killed by disease or a freeze.

Dave

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 6:59PM
daninthedirt(Cent TX; HZ10, Sunset z30, USDA z8a)

Well, sure it's indeterminate. I always plant indeterminate varieties. but I figured that meant that if the vines could be kept green, they'd continue to produce. My experience is that indeterminate varieties produce for an extended period of time, but then they depart. That's evidently not the way it works. The vines that produce do die off. What is surprising me is that new vines are sprouting and RAPIDLY growing! Those new vines have loads of flowers.

Like dogwind above, in the past, when the vines finally start to brown out after several months of production, I just yank 'em. Wrong move, it seems. Clear out the dead vines, water like crazy, and stand back! I didn't do it but some high N fertilizer might be good to apply at this point.

We'll see if these new flowers actually fruit ...

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 9:24PM
zzackey(8b GA)

High nitrogen will only produce nice green leaves, not fruit.

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 3:42PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

I pulled 15 plants today, but left 7 and trimmed them up a bit. Sun Gold is still producing, although I'm only picking a few tomatoes a day right now. We'll see how they all do the next couple months.

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 4:44PM
daninthedirt(Cent TX; HZ10, Sunset z30, USDA z8a)

Yes, you're right, nitrogen fertilizer is a bad idea, especially now, with flowers out.

The issue will be fruit set, with nighttime lows around 75F and daytime highs around 100F. But Sweet 100s, I hear, are pretty tolerant of high temperatures. We'll see.

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Should I grow white tomatoes?
I have Great White seeds and already sprouted some....
shijitake
Cost per tomato?
I'm not going to even guess. I'm going to order 8...
lucillle
Rio Grande Tomato
Okay got a quick question but can't seem to find the...
brenzo77
Big Boo-Boo! On Red Robins
I started some Red Robins a while back, or I thought...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™