Granny Grimmetts?

lucas_tx_gwAugust 30, 2012

Thanks for the other discussions on the red roses.

Has any tried (or even seen?) Granny Grimmetts?

Thanks

Teri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Since Mike Shoup of Antique Rose Emporium grows it and mentions it in one of his first books I looked it up at ARE in Brenham when I first got interested in antique roses. It was pretty puny looking and I was surprised he listed it since it is a hybrid perpetual, a class not known for doing well in hot climates, but of course he sells all over the US. However, I haven't seen it mentioned on the rose forums as being a good rose in any location.

Here is a link that might be useful: Granny Grimmetts on HelpMeFind ...

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 1:46PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I searched the GW Antique Rose Forum and found one reference to Granny Grimmetts:

~ ~ ~

Posted by windeaux z8 (My Page) on Thu, Oct 6, 11 at 22:40

In your long search ' . . . for the perfect red-mauve blend rose for (your) garden . . . ', have you considered the Hybrid Perpetual 'Granny Grimmetts'? It's been my observation that Granny's color fluctuates depending on temps, soil, etc., but when she's at her best, her color is astonishing -- and, sometimes (especially in autumn), she's the most truly purple of any rose I've ever seen.
Of the few specimens of GG I've observed, the finest have been container plants. She doesn't fade, and tolerates light shade in my zone. I'm linking below to an especially good photo of 'Granny Grimmetts' taken by Malcolm Manners. Recent photos at HMF (one by AmiRoses, one by Nova Liz) are also noteworthy. This is a rose, I suspect, whose color is very difficult to capture photographically. Very good fragrance on this one, too . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Granny Grimmitts'

~ ~ ~

You might want to try posting your question on the Antique Rose Forum and maybe windeaux will see it. The page for windeaux doesn't offer the option of emailing them directly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Granny Grimmetts ...

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 10:54AM
lucas_tx_gw

Thanks Roselee, you're so nice to do all that research. I thought the color was pretty but it might not be the best thing for me to try.

Teri

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Pears for North Texas
I would like to plant a Pear tree that has sweet crisp...
ruthz
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
"Takes pruning--blooms on new growth"
What does this mean exactly? This is what my Plants...
violetwest
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™