Dwarf Patio Peach Trees and Honeysuckle?

mebroske(z8CA)August 4, 2011

I am in Austin in an apartment. My patio has eastern exposure with morning sun. My front has west exposure with afternoon sun, so I can move plants to get the sun for them. Next winter, I might pot a dwarf peach tree or two. I was thinking Southern Rose because it only needs 250 chill hours. Do you think it would be possible to have honeysuckle around the trunks or would the competition for nutrients, etc. make that a bad idea? The mental picture of both together really appeals to me.

/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
merrybookwyrm

I think you will have trouble unless the two plants are in different pots. It -might- work if you have the honeysuckle in a different pot from the peach or peaches. I've had onions in the pots with a bay tree and a fig tree. Even that was a little iffy as the trees' roots grew to fill their containers.

Trying to visualize here- you mean the pinkish flowered native honeysuckles, and not white japanese honeysuckle, right?

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 9:02AM
mebroske(z8CA)

I'm not sure what kind of honeysuckle would work or if any would. I love the fragrance because I remember it from my childhood. I've never grown it. It might be better in a separate rail planter. Maybe in the spring. It is so hot now. I'm just thinking down the road. I have seen it growing around trees, but not in a container.

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 5:21PM
merrybookwyrm

I love honeysuckle, too. Fragrance, nector from the flowers, shoots for flower arrangements. Of course, that's the white, invasive, japanese honeysuckle. :-(

If you come up with something you like, please tell us? It could be very, very pretty.

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™